16.11.09

Tomorrow is another day

And I get stuck in the bellies of my two jobs. Is it bellies? Maybe it should be rumps. Something to do with really getting your teeth into something juicy. I knew that soon the two crests would meet and I'd have to put all my smaller balls down and start juggling the two big medicine balls, while simultaneously trying to wobble the little ones with my toes. If any of that makes any sense; I'm too tired to make a coherent metaphor or whatever they are called. However. Days have been spent finishing off tasks, admin and general communication. Some are months old.


This is Petra. I finished her back at the beginning of February, when we were snowed in and she was commandeered the next day for - something. She went away for months, and returned this week. She was reserved by someone who has been very patient. She needed a bit of TLC and her own label, and now is on her way to her new home.


Finished another little commission which was ordered back in 2008; I'm afraid I am taking no more commissions at all now until (possibly) sometime next year, depending on what happens with things. And I'm not even sure when I will have time to add anything new to my shop. Just can't fit any more hours in the day.


So, in the middle of all this getting-up-to-dateness, it was lovely to win a give-away at Angelsey Allsorts - thank you so much. I used to have a sheet of the first design, when I was about seven, which dates it to the early/mid seventies. It is wonderfully thin, shiny and cheap-looking. I'm sure it probably tore when I was using it, but for something this flimsy and throwaway to survive in mint condition really gives meaning to the word 'ephemera'. I am a bit of a vintage wrapping paper nerd; one of my favourite resource books is 'All Wrapped Up', page upon crowded page of wonderful old designs which are great for colour inspiration and mood boards.

And across from America, this sweet card and heirloom squash seeds from Libby Buttons - thank you too! I aspire to grow a beauty as illustrated on the packet, my challenge for 2010.


Which seamlessy leads me on to my calendars - I've got the final batch in, so there are now limited numbers available in my Etsy shop - thank you ever so much to everyone who has kindly bought one so far.

Today was supposed to be when I started work, but even all the whittling down, the lists took over again - the worst ones are the ones in my head; when I have everything crossed off and something rises to the surface which I had completely forgotten about. But I am almost done (though I am almost asleep on my feet) and tomorrow, tomorrow is another day. And anything not done - will just have to wait. (EDIT - reading this back, I sound like a proper misery guts, moaning away. Actually, things are looking really good, I just need to go and have a bath and get some decent sleep).

UPDATED - Foggy Walk and After Storm Cycle at my other blog, Cotswold Peeps - escaping the lists!

27 comments:

Yarrow said...

Wow, you ARE busy. I hope you get everything juggled and sorted and do remember to take some time out for you too.

Hugs to you :)

ps I really covet that wrapping paper :)

Caroline B said...

I know just how you feel - it's terrific to be so busy with work you love, but some spare time to relax would also be nice.
I too covet that wrapping paper! When I was little, my stocking presents were always wrapped in that delicate, easily tearable, cheap paper which was definitely part of the magic, and I always searched around to buy the same paper to wrap my kids' stocking fillers with. Sadly, it's like gold-dust!

Bee said...

Have a REST!
(Does the gray weather make you feel tired, or are you too pumped full of work-adrenalin at the moment?)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Hey Gretel...
You are on the first page of the Etsy gift guide...in the section .."One of a Kind" gifts!! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Aww I know the feeling! This week I have two bits of coursework to hand in, and a presentation to give in the middle of it all!

I'm sure we'll get through everything in the end - all the best!!

Frances said...

May you rest well, have marvelous dreams that you might not remember, but will somehow find a way to feed your marvelous imaginations.

Lists have a life of their own, perhaps even their own private cloning chamber.

Want to let you know what I found on one of my shelves, while I contemplated dusting. A lovely little book published by the Antique Collectors Club, called Design. Half of it features Paul Nash, the other part, John Nash. I remember grabbing it up after seeing a show of British printmakers at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's such a treat to look through the book's pages, I am delighted that I bought it when I saw it.

xo

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

one more thing we have in common..I love vintage wrapping paper and especially vintage Christmas cards. Be sure to breathe during this whirlwind of your life ;-)

Magpie Magic said...

Loving your new commissiona and calendars. Don't forget to rest now and again. Creative minds need refreshing now and again. We tend to forget about that.

Acornmoon said...

Good luck with your new ventures Gretel, I hope Santa brings you an extra pair of hands! Would't that be nice?

Sue said...

I especially love the wrapping paper that feels the need to remind us that Christmas is Dec 25th! Congratulations on having so much work - no wonder you are popular, and deservedly so. Have been enjoying your Peeps too :-) x

Mlle Miracle said...

Oh Gretel, you really need to rest.
I'm glad to read the edit, you seemed to have too many things in your mind.
Hugs!
(sorry about the needleholder, I didn't go to the shop yet, but it will come, one day or another! ;))

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when I have something to get finished, I go out to the studio ..... and faff about tidying up and generally putting off getting on with things ..... I could put things off for even longer if I started making lists of what I ought to be doing!!!!!

Unknown said...

So glad all your hard work is reaping rewards. Like everyone says though, make sure you look after yourself ' threre's no show without Punch'!
Paper looks good, glad you liked it. Ihave put some on ebay and its going like hotcakes - seems there are lots of us Vintage paper freaks about. Hubby brought home some very, very old brown wrapping paper the other day - I was thrilled! - I think looking on - we are a perhaps a bit odd!!lol.

Vicky x

Jackie said...

I like a lot of other 'makers' know just how you feel. I'm just coming to end of a big making session. my house looks as though its been burgled and I am actually looking forward to doing some housework next week.

Unknown said...

Those wrapping papers took me back. They remind me SO much of the wrapping papers my Granny used to use. She would keep paper and reuse it year after year. We had to open our presents really carefully and then flatten out the paper for reuse ... people just don't do stuff like that anymore.

menopausalmusing said...

I just really, really LOVED the ladybird... the detail of the little black heart... exquisite! Thanks for the pack of cards that arrived on one of life's "grey" days...... You really shouldn't have, but THANK YOU! :o)

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make more time in the day every once in a while. I'm SO looking forward to the end of Christmas sales so I can rest...but I like the fact that there ARE sales to keep me busy. Love the wrapping paper, it took me on a trip in the 'way back' machine!

Unknown said...

Such beautiful work!
Wishing you the best~

BALLET NEWS said...

love them all !

Frances Tyrrell said...

Does this mean that exciting thing (was not expressly spoken of) is on? I hope so.
Blessings,
F

tut-tut said...

That ladybird is just perfect!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Oh, I know how you feel. It is so tough to get everything done you have floating in your mind, isn't it? But at least you are busy! Best from Massachusetts!

Suze said...

I hope the medicine balls, and those toe balls will give you time to celebrate Christmas and to catch up with yourself, before you meet yourself coming back!

Hope your weekend's a good one, with at least one long walk....and relax!

Good luck with everything...

Rowan said...

Hope you've managed a nice warm, scented bath and a good long sleep so that you can start off again with renewed energy. The vintage papers are wonderful, remind me of the sort of thing that was around when I was a litle girl. As for Petra - she is so gorgeous. Your polar bears have always been my favourites.

hirondelle said...

OMG that wrapping paper just picked me up and carried me all the way back to my childhood, lol!!

Don't worry about feeling / sounding miserable - we all have those days, and in a sense that is why we blog (those of us who have 'proper' sharing blogs that is - not just the bland marketing variety). So we can get all that out, and move onwards and upwards.

Cavania said...

Love that Polar Bear, he's adorable.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your felted wool animals are just adorable! And I love the old wrapping paper! Some of it looks familiar. When I was a girl, we carefully unwrapped our gifts, removed the tape, folded the paper and saved it in a drawer for the next gifting occasion.