7.11.08

Sweep!

My little studio window from the front


The local chimney sweep arrived this week.The trademark brush popped out of our chimney stack like a dirty chrysanthemum. I related the saga of our chimney fire to him as he cleaned the remaining crud out of the stack. Ironically, the fire had burned off most of the residue, and there was only a little left. Which is not to say it won't need doing again next year - although we are not planning to be here for much longer.




It was cheaper and quicker than I imagined, and I soaked up yet more information about wood burners. If and when we have the luxury of buying our next place, (God willing) I will know exactly what to look out for.




Neaton Solutions is a West Oxfordshire based business, and now comes with my personal recommendation; I have his contact details to hand, if anyone in the area is in need of a thoroughly good sweep.

11 comments:

Susan Mitchell said...

It gave me the shivers when I read your post about the fire, so I am glad to hear that you are both safe and sound.

We have our chimney swept once a year by a man who wears neon green sunglasses, but I have heard it is possible to get a sweep who wears tails and a top hat - now that's the way to do it! :)

Gail said...

Thanks for sharing your chimney drama with us (we don't even have a chimney - not even a gas fir :-().

Just glad you and all your's survived the incident ;-)

-Gail X

Chris.P said...

...I've just though of a good use for Misk's false eyelashes:¬)

Kim said...

Oooh, it's good that you've got it sorted for another year, but where are you planning on moving to, or is this just early plans? How are the paintings going? I've hit another dry spot!!! Too many distractions at the moment!

Kim x

Nan and =^..^= said...

That's peace of mind to have the chimney swept! I love the photo with the brush poking out of the chimney and your description.
We don't have a chimney but my one of my sister's does and they had a chimney fire a few years ago...very scary and luckily they stopped it in time.
Looking forward to seeing your painting of Bunchy!

Frances said...

What good news that you have had that chimney swept! I really do like the rooftop picture. It does look like something out of a fairy tale book.

I also thank you for your comments. Yes, we are so looking forward to inauguration day, next January.

xo

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It's on my list to call our chimney sweep! Thanks for the reminder...I always think I'll wait till later, and then I hear a story such as yours, and I know I shouldn't!

Anonymous said...

A good sweep is priceless. We had one elderly bloke who was a real grumpy old b***er. Sarcastic, too, when I tried to make light conversation. We use someone else now and he's a jolly chap, much nicer.

Gretel said...

Hi Kim, we are heading back to my home county,Devon - we've been planning to do this since 1995, so it is time to get on with things!

tlchang said...

I'll bet you never expected to be on such closely intimate terms with your chimney (or various chimney 'practitioners' :-).

I'm glad all is well.

Sarah Laurence said...

Good! I feel better now that you've cleared out the fire hazard. When our chimney sweep came in Oxford, he asked if I wanted to go outside and watch since it's good luck to see the broom pop out the top of the chimney. I'd never heard of that before, and it was fun to see in life and in your blog.