3.2.06

Rough sketching

...or why I've been sat in the same room for two days, hunched over the computer.

The latest spread for 'Girly Giftbook' as it shall be known until its publication, requires pictures of girls representing various countries from around the world. As I am part of an artist's team, probably only one or maybe two of my girls will be eventually used. But still the roughs must be done, so that there is a good selection for the designers to pick from. Here is a confession. I am a very lazy artist. I like painting toys and animals. Hell, I'm good at toys and animals. (I should be by now). I am not so hot on children. This is kind of bad; in a perfect world I'd be a fully rounded commercial artist able to turn my hand to anything. One such artist is John Nez, who consistently produces wonderfully loose artworks seemingly effortlessly. His blog yesterday gives the lie to that, but nonetheless, the results are there. Contrariwise It has taken me all of today to get two poses, (and all of yesterday to get four) needing hours of research on Google for costume design, and giving me a sore back and a bad temper, mainly with myself for being so bloody useless. Even Michelangelo had a habit of chucking his early roughs, as he wanted his work to be seen in all its finished glory. I can see his motivation, though I don't think my early scribblings will be selling for millions in 400 years time.

But I know that this drawing struggle is good for me. It's not that I can't draw children, or hands, or different faces - it's just that I try to avoid it as it's more difficult. There. I feel better now. Now I am going to soak my poor back in a hot bath with my new library book, 'Death in Perspective' where an artist housesits a charming old cottage, hoping to paint watercolours of the garden. Until the bodies start appearing...

Oh yes, many thanks to Nut & Bee, who has been very kind about my blog. Thank you! The cricket season starts again soon, so I will be posting more about this wonderful leisure activity when spring finally arrives.

3 comments:

Gretel said...

Bloggin Mysteries no. 1.
Where do comments go when they disappear????

Maya said...

lol....Maybe where socks go?

tlchang said...

That would make sense, since I think it was *my* comment that disappeared into the ether...