20.5.07

Scherenschnitte

That's paper cutting to you. What a pleasant break from painting. I drew my first little silhouette people when I was about 17, I'd just bought one of those brush pens and was doodling about with it, and this little person appeared as if by magic. A few twiddles and there was another one. I had found my world. I drew several lines of them on horrid flourescent orange paper and they are somewhere in all my bumph but they must be hiding. When Andy and I were at college he made me this sketchbook -


and I filled it with little scenes of my people. I think in those days a lot of them were sheer wishful thinking to be in a tranquil world, just sitting, or sleeping - I still am fixed on beds.




The entire contents of this book can be found
here. Back then I was more concerned with having a pretty sketchbook - now I just scribble on the nearest bit of paper and get the idea out asap. I didn't do anything with them apart from the occasional lino cut. There wasn't much of a commercial demand for that kind of thing - and there isn't now. But it's still my favourite way of depicting things; I find it much easier to think in such a graphic way. So here I am again, revisiting my old designs, and pinching my own ideas from 15 years ago. This was inspired from a field trip to Barcelona -



and here it is tweaked a little, as a papercut...mounted on a 5 inch card, and yes, the laundry line was a bit fiddly.



It feels a bit odd to be going back an old style, but rather like a comfy pair of slippers you know are going to fit.



15 comments:

natural attrill said...

This is a beautiful sketch book, I love it! my favourite is the bottom image on page one.
Penny. x

julie said...

wonderful work - and lovely to see the progression from the original sketchbook pieces to the more recent work - beautifully done.

tlchang said...

Gorgeously graphic! It's making my fingers itch a bit.... *sigh*

Susan Mitchell said...

Tag, you're it! See my blog for details. Hope you don't mind :)

Anonymous said...

I stand in awe!

Joanna said...

They are lovely, I love the one with the washing. Great to see the old sketch book pieces rewakened.

Paula Bowles said...

These are great, Gretel! I love them!!! I was staring at them for ages yesterday while I was at 'work' ('work' because it's not really - i was at my call centre job!) But yes, it was nice having lovely images to look at while I was there! ..please make some more before the weekend, so have more things to look at!

OldBagNewTricks said...

I think it's nice as can be to slip back into an early style -- it's amazing how early the dye is cast.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous, love that washing line and the bed, oh actually I think I love them all.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Gosh I remmeber doing simular things wiht black ink on hadn marbled paper! I have directed my neice to your site in the hope she may be inspired!!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

I love that style - those images have such a lot of charm. I will definitely follow up your links.
By the way - are you an astrologer, too? (re your comment on my blog). Funnily enough, I do have a retrograde Jupiter on my IC at the moment - although I know Jupiter's not normally problematic.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

I like the strong graphic quality of these and I echo everthing said here. Don't think of it as reverting back though, just as one of the many styles/genres you work in.

Do I see a little bit of Zille in the bed pictures?

Anyhow- wonderful- thanks for posting these!

Steph

weirdbunny said...

They are so intrigueing pictures. Also I can't beleive how many blogs your involves in. Just how do you get the time !!

Gina said...

Wow, absolutely amazing! REally beautiful.

Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous, love the washing line!