27.2.08

Budget Treasures

How much fun can you have for under a fiver ($10 US) at the weekend? Lots, if there is a jumble sale at our village hall. There aren't many nowadays, but there are always treasures to be found. One peculiar rule here seems to be that if it is advertised as a 2pm opening then one should aim to get there after 1.30, as the organisers have a very loose attitude towards time. I did so, and was lucky to be first at the book stall and snaffle this bunch of beauties for £1.50 ($3 US) - a complete set of the Book of Nature study in fine condition, plus a couple of other old nature-oriented books. Having ascertained that there was nothing more of interest to be had in the melange of dog eared paperbacks, I moved swiftly on to the bric-a-brac stall next door and picked up an excellent little pair of Praktica pocket binoculars for 50p.($1 US)




Gone are the days when vintage clothing (oh, how I remember the Glory Days!) could be picked up for pennies...but dodging the old ladies elbows, I did grab some potential sewing material, a 60's wrap-around and a (
possibly naff but good for making pouches) reproduction embroidered waistcoat courtesy of 'Past Times', both for 20p (40 cents US) each.




And lurking sadly under a trestle table, a pair of proper hand made brogues, with stitched leather soles and segs on the heels; obviously once lovingly cared for and still showing their quality, despite much wear...




I tried them on, hopefully. Too big even for my slabs and at a size 10 1/2, too small for Andy. But it was like finding an old courtly gentleman in the gutter and I just had to rescue them, if only for decorative value. (And they were only 20p/40 cents US).




Now I am a born-again needle felter, I need something to hold my bits in, and although I have many storage baskets and tins, they are all crammed with paraphenalia. So I was holding out a vague hope that I might find a Victorian sewing casket nestling in a box of vintage silk remnants. I didn't, of course. But I did find an unused rice steamer for 50p ($1 US)





- which comes apart in three layers and is perfect for storing my ever growing supplies in.





Topped by a gorgeous (how on earth did this arrive in our little village?) mint condition Australian flour sack, for 20p (40 cents US) - just the ticket for keeping my lovely wool tops in.



Somewhat weighed down, I staggered home, to be met by a groan from Andy when he saw not just a full rucksack, but two bags as well. However, I am an expert at making my stash fit in, and now you would hardly know it was there...

Many thanks to cMaille at Etsy, who posted my artwork Koko on their blog, very much appreciated!

29 comments:

Melanie said...

What a fabulous stash of loot you came home with. Those boots are gorgeous. Have fun with all of your new loot!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for all your bargains! I am particularly envious of those beautiful boots - perfect for displaying on a hearth methinks - I have now made it my mission to peruse a few car booties for victorian costume bits and bobs to display around the place (I shall pretend that Mark would share my enthusiasm for this of course!)

Gail said...

Some great finds there Gretel - those shoes are fantastic even though they don't fit ;)

I'm so impressed with your needle felting - so far I've only had a little play and done some flat shapes. But you've inspired me to dig out some other bits and have a go at something 3D!

Libbys Blog said...

I haven't seen a jumble sale round here for years! Must keep my eyes open for one!!!

Joanna said...

What a wonderful stash, of goodies. Thats a great storage pot. I'm such a bad buyer, I go to a nearby car boot sale and look and then regret not buying something. Well done on fitting it in, I could really do with your advice on fitting everthing in my work room, I'm sure you would have it looking all neat and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You've got such a great eye for finding treasures! I remember when there would be jumble sales every week Sadly where I live, the 'table top' sales have prices that are pounds rather than pence!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing jumble sale! We don't have anything like that at ours. Baked bean cans in tombola stalls and plastic toys and a few old lady cardigans. Sigh.......

AC said...

Well done...that was some shopping trip.
Take care,
Alison x

natural attrill said...

A jumble sale! there arent many around these days, I used to go to them regularly when I lived in London years ago.
I was trying to describe them to Toby, like a car boot sale in a small hall, with lots of old ladies elbowing you out of the way...
Then he found one here in Todmorden last week!
Toby came back with lots of goodies saying it was just like I had described.
Gretel, you certainly have some good finds, those boots are amazing, I want a pair! The sack is cute, and what a good use for the steamer.
P.x

Anonymous said...

Those are really fun purchases but I can just see your husband "wondering" as you unpacked the sacks. It's such fun to be back and reading your blog.

Caroline B said...

Love that flour sack! Wish we still had jumble sales round our way.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

I want to go shopping with YOU, lady!!! Damn, you can find the treasures.

weirdbunny said...

I haven't been to a jumble sale for years ! People seem to be greedy and want to sell everything on e bay or at car boot sales these days. I suppose with every town jam packed with charity shops, people can easily pass their unwanted belonging onto those. Charity shops don't sell things for 20p though do they ! But then again they do need all the money they can get to keep their wonderful services going.

Stitcher said...

Great bargains there.

Deb said...

what bargain finds! the fabric looks really nice. my mum used to take me to jumble sales when i was little. it was so much fun to scramble around to find things. dx.

Rima Staines said...

Hello .. what a lovely lot of things you got there :) The shoes are great... and I love the "dingo brand" flour" Also that's a great blog of lovely things you were featured on.
Hehe... I am sure there'll always be a corner in your lovely house to fit just one more bargain! X

Amongst The Oaks said...

That basket for your felting supplies is perfect! I've been trying my hand at needle felting with so-so results. Mine are a little lumpy, but your are perfect! I hope to show them on my blog soon, but progress is slow.
Hugs, Laura

Elizabeth said...

Jumble sales!
My mother used to be the person who stored all the stuff ahead of time - her particular favorite was for the "Lifeboats".
Anyway, in the late 60's when I was at art school, I used to get the pick of all the cool stuff.
I bet Mum was sorry.
My husband had fits. You mean this stuff was worn by someone who's dead?
Well, maybe.
Why not?
I wonder why they don't have them any more.
It was almost as much fun as "Bring and Buy" sales and the "Christmas Bazaar" in the village hall......
Bath salts......
Hndknitted baby clothes.......

Merisi said...

You did really well! I would have gotten those books no matter the subject they deal with, just for their colour. Isn't it such a good feeling, rescuing some orphaned books that may or not may have been much loved in the past but obviously were in need of a new loving home. Brava! :-)

artmixter said...

I haven't been to a jumble sale for yonks...they seem to have been replaced by car boots and auctions around here. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Great buys, love the books and the idea of using a rice steamer for storage is just brilliant. Now where can I get a rice steamer? You are right about jumble sales I remember, oh it must have been 20 years ago, there would be half a dozen or so in the vicinity every Saturday, I can't remember the last time I saw one advertised.
Bring back the jumble sale I say.
Carolyn
http://willowhouse.typepad.com

The fabric of my life said...

Lovely post Gretel. I adore jumblies and we still have them in our village regularly. You got some great goodies there. I am also a master of squirreling away a new stash of finds so that no one would know. Trouble is I found a 6ft fabric screen this weekend which is a little harder to hide ;-)

I will be having scrap bags in a new section of my updated website soon.

Karen said...

Hi. Thanks so much for adding me as a friend on blogcatalog. Just had a quick look here and will definitely be back!

Soozcat said...

I'll have to add my voice to those who cheer the rice steamer as an inspired container for needle felting supplies. It's beautiful.

We don't have much by way of jumble sales here, although garage sales and estate sales in their season have been known to offer up some wonderful treasures.

(Will you laugh at me if I admit I looked up the word "naff" over at Urbandictionary? I was pretty sure I had the gist of it from context, but...)

Tart said...

Wow - good haul! Our annual jumble sale is on Saturday and I would be beside myself with delight to find such a flour sack. Always useful being one of the organisers, though! Ours will have soup and sausage rolls to keep the browsers and buyers happy.

Your needlefelted toys are fantastic - I am so impressed at your speedy mastery of the technique.

Tea said...

Isn`t it fun finding treasures?! What a great sewing basket that is too :)

tea
xo

Jennifer Thermes said...

You found some great treasures!

I love that they're called "jumble sales"-- never heard that term before. Over here we call them "tag sales." It's one of our favorite things to do on a spring weekend.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure," as they say!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Such good stuff! Why can i only ever find tat? Not looking properly I suspect.

Lynn Cohen said...

I love those boots found! I too look for odd things and post them usually on Saturdays after the finds!
I love your whimsical art work, especially the pieces that look like they belong in children's books.

Your felted animals are delightful as well.