29.7.05

Shelob's lair

OK - we go in for a casual approach to the hovel's decor. It's small, full of stuff (and cats), it's 240 years old and I dread to think what lurks in some of the nooks and crannies. But it is usually tidy. There is an exception to this. The alcove.

Looks lovely, doesn't it? Yet it was here, in that nice little porcelain teacup to the bottom right of the picture, that I found a very ugly bug indeed - a poor relation of our handsome cockchafer, he looked as if he'd do something nasty to you and then claim compensation for injury to feelings. After this shot was taken, he was shown the door post haste.


But Shelob is another story. She has been lurking on the windowsill in her webby lair for weeks now, appearing only to inspect who is coming up the stairs, or to suck on one her victims. As long as I know where she is, I'm happy for her to stay there. I like to think it's this casual approach to housework that gives our hovel such a relaxed atmosphere...but Heaven help her if she ever ventures further up the stairs.

Shelob's lair - between the antique bottles on the top alcove shelf.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Gretel said...

Don't be such a softy. She's adorable and there are the husks of two husbands in the corner...

Anonymous said...

DESTROY!!!DESTROY!!!!


(Why do you look like a big red cross?)

Lorna said...

A story in waiting?

My Bella Bleu said...

HAHA! I just recently watched the Lord Of The Rings triliogy, as I do atelast once a year, and this little friend of yours would scare me to death were it residing in my home!