25.4.08

Eloise and Heinz

The days seem to be passing in a blur of needle stabbing; taking old designs (the simple Siamese cat card, did I really paint that...oh dear...) and tweaking them -



- taking them one step further and creating a pink-pointed Siamese.




Finding that it is one thing to design a sausage dog on paper...




...and another to make it in 3D. The legs went horribly wrong and some major surgery was called for - not a sight for the squeamish!




But with some careful study of what the structure of a Dachshund really looks like, I rescued him. He was named Heinz in honour of the only tinned soup I allow in the house. Because there really isn't anything quite like it. Run for the ball, Heinz!




Sit up and beg!



Dig for that bone boy!




Eloise and Heinz are off to their new homes; Eloise is going far across the Atlantic to America, and Heinz is just popping over the county border. Now I have to think about my first custom order...and finish another goose.

Delighted this week - as always - to receive greetings from Adanaland. The King of Adanaland had seen my link to goblin-artist extraordinaire, Jean-Baptiste Monge, and along with a choice selection of letter-press goodies -




- was this decorative goblin type, are they not delicious?




I have found a company which actually makes tiny wooden wheels and axles. Despite my aspirations, I am not an all-encompassing craft goddess, and I am particularly lousy at any form of woodwork, so making my own was out of the question. But wheels I must have, for ducks, birds, horses and - oh, anything really. Needle felt wheely toys, I cannot wait!


24 comments:

Catherine Hayward said...

Needle felty wheelie toys?! Oh oh oh! :D
Heinz is superb (no pun intended...) and Eloise is rather fetching too

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Gretel, these are perfect! LOVE the colors! I can't wait to see what creation you come up with next!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing......

mzjohansen said...

Your sketches delight me - and your felted pieces are just amazing !

Frances said...

Fabulous menagerie you are creating. Looking forward to seeing them go mobile.

The sausage dog has pulled something from my long ago childhood memories. Back in Virginia, when I was a youngist teenager, similarly shaped stuffed toy dogs were sold as "autograph hounds." Their cotton fabric skin could be written on with the pens that accompanied them. (You cannot possibly know that this was in the very earlies days of the ball point pen and such pens were quite the novelty. The idea was that the owner of these hounds would have their friends write their signatures all over the back of the dogs. My most auspicious signature was the multi-part name of my cousin's handsome Brazillian boyfriend. I had such a crush on him!) Thanks for bringing back this delicious memory.

xo

Libbys Blog said...

Your needle felting has really taken off! It is amazing to watch and re watch your video and see you create something from a lump of wool! Love it!!

Puddock said...

Heinz is adorable! Definitely the star of a future picture book I think...

Unknown said...

Heinz .... oh for a sausage dog ...

carolyn said...

i can't wait either. Heinz and Eloise are just perfect.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Such fun to watch your critters evolve. Eloise's points are lovely and I love Heinz' three positions, fabulous. And next wheels......

Rima Staines said...

Yay! Wheels!!!
I'm very excited to see this!

And bravo on superb cats and dogs and custom orders :)
Happy weekend x

donnachada said...

Your drawings are lovely for your animals.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Monsieur Heinz is especially adorable.

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are wonderful; I love your drawings and I especially love Heinz. I've never tried needle felting in 3D.

Caroline B said...

Heinz is just great - glad he survived the hacking and slashing!!

natural attrill said...

I love Heinz the dog, and Heinz Tomato is the only tinned soup I eat as well.
Good news about the wheels.
P.x

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I think I'm going to have to have tomato soup for my lunch now, nothing else will do!x

Chris.P said...

Great stuff as always Gretel.

Racheal Miles said...

They are brilliant. Well done

Racheal x

kate smudges said...

What a neat collection of toy-making books. Eloise and Heinz are adorable creatures - poor Heinz survived his leg ordeal magnificently and looks wonderful.

Your collection of wool is truly spectacular. What a wonderful treat!

Elizabeth said...

You are so inventive and wonderful.
I had to laugh at the sausage dog named Heinz.
Yes, what on earth do they make that soup out of?
Not tomatoes I think!

tlchang said...

Darling, as per your usual.

Saw a link to some very interesting felted... things... today: http://www.stephaniemetz.com/portfoliocurrent.html

Very interesting approach...

Belinha Fernandes said...

I can't helpit!I'm in love with your toys!;-)

Viviane Schwarz said...

I can't wait either!!! Wheels!!!! That's too brilliant!

I wish I'd re-visited your blog sooner - I would so have collected some of these! Serves me right! I'll have eagle-eyes on your etsy shop now!