18.1.06

And the weather here today was...


...gloomy but mild. I do like grey days. They always look uninviting from a cosy studio, but are so atmospheric when you're striding forth into their damp embrace.

It was almost spring-like today - fields are ploughed and waiting, hedges ruthlessly strimmed back and ditches cleared.

Although some fields are already green with early summer crops. In a few months time this will be a rippling, whispering sea of wheat.

Not too much bird activity though - good thing, it's mid-January and still time for the 'coldest winter for decades' that the forecasters have been promising. There is definitely a sense of 'quickening' in the land though...although the Spring Equinox, known also as 'The Day of Quickening' in the Pagan calendar, is not until 20th March.

(There is a rather lovely poem concerning grey days and spring here.)

10 comments:

lorna said...

Hello Gretel,
I do love to follow your walks in the wilds. Even if I can't get out to the gorgeous countryside very often it is nice to have updates on what's going on out there. :o)

The fabric of my life said...

I adore spring. It's my favourite time of year. Our daffs are just poking their heads through the soil and I saw more signs of bulbs reawakening in the village. I refuse to believe the hardest winter prediction. They get it wrong sooo often.

Maya said...

I like grey days Gretel...the green fields and the yellow leaves look almost flouresent under the filtered sky...like they are glowing! :)

I can almost smell the wet earth, looking at your pics!

Gail said...

Lovely pics, I do like this time of year. I noticed over the weekend that my snowdrops are just begining to show their green tips - I can't wait for the delicate white flowers.
-Gail X

Stephen Collins said...

Grey days look much better in the Cotswolds! The last green thing I saw was a BP garage. Happy rambling...

S

tlchang said...

Grey days can have some appeal, but in Seattle, it's getting kindof old!! We did have a dry day in there (I think it was day 28) that stopped our record-breaking streak, but has since continued raining... Grey, chilly, rainy - good thing I need to be in the studio anyway!

Cathy said...

Yes, you can almost feel the soil tingling, can't you. I just hope all the new growth isn't wiped out by the cold spell predicted next week.

Cathy

tlchang said...

I hope you are getting lots of work done, because I miss seeing you online!

ken said...

You've really summed up the appeal of grey days. I wish I was out there now, not stuck indoors at work.

Anonymous said...

"rippling, whispering sea of wheat"... I do love that image. Thanks for that.