7.11.08

Bunchy and the blob




Is it just me or does this look vaguely gynaecological in an upside down kind of way? Maybe it's just me...

Painting 'muscles' are now firmly back in action and performing at max warp. As I have a deadline for this set of work, I don't have the luxury of not being able to do it; I knew the first piece would be a struggle, but now I'm firmly on a progression of ideas, and as usual after a break, I've developed a few new themes and ideas. After the last post about Bunchy, I was able to complete her within two days - the colour laid down, and pencil work begun on the nearside ear.





Caroline mentioned Potters Pink, which I remember buying when it first came out a few years ago - in fact, I posted about it when this blog was only a few weeks old, back in 2005, when I was using it on a large painting (in my old, tiny studio, where I could barely move). I remember not being terribly impressed with it's wash abilities; it had a curious mix of chalkiness and stickiness from (presumably) too much gum arabic. Which is why I used my own pink mix for Bunchy; it had enough white in it for the dullness I was after, but a bigger proportion of normal watercolours for it to spread well.
A few hours of pencil work - (just normal H type ones; as a rule I only use coloured pencil on my commercial work, to bumpy the colour up, as is required). One more artwork down...






And another one on the way. As my washes take a while to dry naturally, I'm needle felting inbetween to save time - which seems to use different bits of the brain; sculpting and flat painting feel different inside my head when I do them and it takes about five minutes to settle back into whichever technique. But I've decided not to let my painting slip this time, so I'd better get used to it.





All four paintings are in exactly the same sized frame and circular mount - I've really pushed the limit on the composition here; when I was fitting the mount, I thought for a few horrid seconds that she was going to spill out of the aperture...but she just squeezes in nicely. Another fraction and it would have been like me trying to get into last year's trousers.





20 comments:

Catherine Marche said...

very cute, and the blobby thing looks very mmmmmmmmm... manly too

natural attrill said...

I'd say it looked rather more phallic!
Toby.

Gretel said...

Toby, 2 out of ten for biology! Look at it upside down...but I know what you mean, when seen the right way up. :)

Amanda and Tim said...

It's not just you ;o)

I love the end product - oh wow I am in love *sighs*

Frances said...

You are filling those circles so well. The textural effect of that pink is magnificent!

It is good to trade between media, even making much wider switches ... I count baking cookies (biscuits) as some sort of sculpture. I imagine your cake baking might be a bit similar.

Keep up that creativity. Your sunny studio looks so inviting!

Cheers!

Caroline B said...

Hmmm, that does look like something biological....not too sure what! What is it destined to be?
Potter's Pink is still peculiar to use but I do like the way it dries in a very unpredictable fashion. I can see why it wouldn't do so well for your smooth washes though.

Mlle Miracle said...

Mmmm, well, I agree with Toby, but we'll see what do you have in mind Gretel!
Bunchy is fabulous, what's your next toy? Maybe an elephant?

Kim said...

Gretel, it's the pencil work that turns a lovely painting into something so irresistible and realistic. I feel like I could pluck her from the page and give her a cuddle.

Kim x

ps, is that a real Pochade that the picture frame is sitting on?

K

Melanie said...

It is a good thing Bunchy doesnt have ears yet to hear such things said about her. Another beautiful illustration turned into something 3 dimensional. Your brain is certainly flexible.

tlchang said...

I know what you mean about switching between art forms. Even the switch from drawing to painting always takes a bit of a transition for me. Especially when working on book interiors. It's much quicker if I can draw everything first, and then paint everything after (rather than a piece or a spread at a time). I must need a better gear shift...

Angel.Pearls said...

Hallo there -what interesting blog I found here! Very nice and cute paintings!!Best wishes// Eva

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi pg,
just wanted to thank you for stopping by and I was so happy to see your comments! Am glad you enjoyed the bike ride!

Bunchy looks very irresistible and I'm looking forward to seeing who is next!

Jackie said...

I'm afraid I'm with tiby..but I'm sure when you get soemdetail on it all will becoem clear!
The 2d is so gorgeous.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Well I just loooove it.

(())

Sarah Laurence said...

Ha! I thought the same thing before reading your observation. Your bunny’s bum also reminded me of the Miro show I saw in NYC this weekend. Interesting to hear about your technique. The paintings will hang well together. Coming along well!

Bee said...

I agree with Sarah! The comparison does rather jump out at you!

Bunchy turned out so well. The worn-down pink has just the right amount of well-loved grubbiness.

Elizabeth said...

Well, sort of 'organic' anyway! Hmmmmmm.
The painting is coming along beautifully.
I'm sorry England is having gloomy weather. Oh dear.
We are having a lovely warm bright fall here in NY and going on lots of bike rides.
Greetings for a wonderful week.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Hmm, yes, uterine for sure. Bunchy looks just right in her frame.

Anonymous said...

Yes, certainly anatomical! I love the finished painting and the beautiful way you've rendered the pink, - lovely.x

Kim said...

Gretel, I first learned about Pochade boxes in a Charles de Lint book called The Ivory and the Horn, a collection of short stories. It might appeal to you actually, he often writes about artists. I've got a little cheapie box too, but I love it :) but you can pay a small fortune for some of them.

Kim x