25.1.08

En route

Now I am sketching and painting properly again, I can't think why I spent so many years crying into a metaphorical pillow because I couldn't get (much) publishing work or because galleries didn't want me. So much time and effort expended for so little reward. Now I am regularly selling to the people who really matter - the people who put it on their walls - and I feel liberated. It is amazing that I am finally doing what I doggedly planned to do, way back when I was twelve, and making a solemn vow to my recently dead parents (especially my old dad). Several times along the way I got distracted and misled, but all the paths eventually led back to this one. I follow the map best when I heed my own directions.




To be delving deep into my creative innards again is a joyous experience. I find myself re-visiting old themes, many of which I haven't explored for a long time. Pre-blog. My bird ladies for instance. My beloved bird ladies. Not on my website, not in the blog, not sold, not printed. A few who read this may know what I am talking about - I showed them to one or two people. I took them to a gallery owner who told me that they were 'beautiful, but not something they could sell'. They went back in the portfolio, their wings clipped. Some of my best bird lady paintings have been languishing far from home and they are coming back at last, I cannot wait to hold them again.

To find the bird lady, look for the three pronged tail...





Bird ladies usually find themselves isolated in a room with a distant window. This time I am going to let them into the city. A city I used to paint when I was an infant of twenty years.


'En Route' for sale at Etsy


En route to a dazzling party, the Grand Duchess Amaretto de Carciobanna rolls through the city streets, pulled along on a silken scarlet rope by an anonymous flunky. Will someone remember to pick up her wheely bird? Because, you see, she could not possibly retrieve it herself, it simply would not do!



What will happen when my bird ladies meet my toys?

16 comments:

Joanna said...

She is lovely and I love the city, such an air of excitment, I do hope she does not loose the little bird, it can be very upsetting to loose something so nice.

So glad you are painting.

Petula Darling said...

She's lovely!
I'm glad you've decided you don't need the galleries, and you've found an outlet online. It makes your artwork available to so many more people.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

That is just magical ! I love the bird ladies and the toys...a perfect match.

(())

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Gretel- I've followed you over from Eric's blog. I love this statement--

"I follow the map best when I heed my own directions."

It's hard sometimes not to get distracted by... everything. Your work is beautiful. :-)

Gail said...

This is lovely Gretel, I love the stuff you do - there's so much there ... does that make sense?

I do hope she goes to a lovely home with someone who will appreciate her ;)

Debbie Miller of Onion Patch said...

The bird ladies will play with the toys and tell stories of adventures.

I love your bird ladies!!

Marianne said...

Gretel, she is beautiful! Such wondrous rich colours. Honestly, there is such a depth of feeling and emotion in your subjects, they should find homes with people who love them. :-D

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
Marianne

Unknown said...

This one of my favorites, it's really beautiful. The colours are amazing.

Rosa said...

I am so happy you are free!!! Yippee!! I'm on my way to your Etsy store. How fun!! xox

julie said...

It is wonderful to be free to follow where your impulses lead especially when they lead to such beauties as the bird ladies!

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

beautiful, Gretel! Really wonderful painting!

Elizabeth said...

How inventive you are!
I spent the day with a friend who lives between here and Ludlow.
I miss England!

Mary Beth said...

OOHH - I'd like to go to that ball! Especially if I get to wear a pretty dress like that!

Amanda and Tim said...

What beautiful work - and such a wonderful story behind the lady! I'm glad you've refound the bird ladies!!

Anonymous said...

There's something going on about birds at the moment. I'm currently drawig robins dressed in historic costume! (I can't post it yet becaue it's a surprise card.)I love the way your bird lady has to travel sedately by a moving trolley, so very refined!

Mercedes De La Jara said...

She's lovely!!! What beautiful work !!