11.9.05

A gothic flower fairy

I am not really a clannish type of person, but I couldn't leave Devon without popping in to say hello to my sister's family, and especially my niece Laura, who is about to start her first year at Goldsmith's College, London. This is one of the country's most prestigious artistic establishments and I am so proud of her achievement. I had never seen her work before and while my auntily instincts assumed that it would be good, I was unprepared for the superb standard of her portfolio and sketchbooks. The level of competence and sheer hard work was staggering, far better than anything I produced in my foundation art year.
She is to study textile design, and has an innovative way with materials, producing amazing artworks, surface patterns, upholstery and this exquisite dress, modelled by herself. I think she's going far and I can't wait to see what she produces next.

No comments: