16.12.05

Return of joy

Because my joy in life disappeared sometime last week. Several days of intense housework and a visit from the 'Black Dog'. This is a rare thing nowadays, so it was a bit of a shock to find myself lumped on the sofa staring at the wall, feeling bleached of all creativity. Crying hopelessly about Lord knows what. But - it really is darkest before the dawn, and I woke feeling better. Life is good again. I had a lovely call from my Art Director at Disney, who is quite wonderful at smoothing my neurotic fears and artistic vanity. The work is done and being picked up by courier on Monday. I have apparently done quite well and 'picked it up' quickly, especially considering the amount of work I had to do. Now I can look forward to seeing the results at the Spring Fair, and am moving on with the other jobs. At the moment I'm concentrating on the 'Woodland Creatures' book. I am aiming for a slightly flat, retro feel, so have been Googling vintage 50's and 60's fabric for ideas - shapes, patterns and colours. However, there's been a new pack of spreads for the 'Girly Giftbook' which I must attend to, and a new job (deadline early January) for a poster - theme left to my discretion, to be included in an educational magazine. And another commission. So - not much time for Christmas! But one of the things which really helped cheer me up was the delightful present I received from my AOI Secret Santa - 'someone' who has read about my love of all thing Gisela Graham. I was going to save it for the Big Day, but was advised to open it beforehand. I'm glad I did. Thank you Lyn, for making me smile again.


5 comments:

The fabric of my life said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been feeling down and glad that you are now better :-)

If you need any help with fabric patterns etc let me know, fabric is my thing.

Love your cornishware and other scrummy bits on your shelves ;-)

Excellent Walker said...

Glad you're feeling better. Personally, I wish I was visited by the "black dog" in those down times. A big black friendly dog you can curl up with. For me, it's more of a dark-grey fog, that comes with a distant drone of a car alarm.

I can't wait to see the Woodland Creatures. I have a feeling it's going to be spectacular.

Gretel said...

Thanks Dons and EW. Dons, I thought you'd spot the china! In the days when you could pick these things up for 50p in charity shops...

EW, I'm really getting into 'woodland Creature', I hope it is spectacular - or at least acceptable.

lorna said...

Hi Pg,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, and my how busy you are! What a great idea the AOI secret Santa thing was. :o) I'm hopping up and down on the spot waiting to see some of your new stuff, I'm sure it'll all be wonderful,

much love and a merry christmas,

Lornax

Maya said...

hello Gretel.
I am really sorry you were feeling down...and glad you are feeling a better now!
Its this goddamn full moon...(I blame most of my depressed feelings either on the moon or pms...(bad habit))

2006 WILL be a lovely year!!
I can't wait to see your new work! You are a very gifted artist!
*huge hug*
lots of love
from your no.1 fan!
Maya
:)