25.10.11

Headless Hare


Happily, this doesn't happen very often, but occasionally
I get halfway through a piece and realise that it is wrong to my original intention. As with this pre-ordered hare, Willow. Yesterday I realised that her arms were going to be too long for her body; cutting the arms down, as I did, didn't help. She needed more neck length. She was looking too tubby anyway - more like a rabbit than a hare. Only one thing to do...find the big scissors...
(If you are Janet of the Empty Nest, you might want to look away now...)


Cut off her head. It gives me a rare chance to look at cross section of one of my toys and see how densely it's been worked.



So the neck extending begins.





Once the wool is taking shape, I can hold the head on with a spare felting needle so that I can work on her more easily, in my hands.




About two hours after I cut her up, she is looking much better, but the joins are still weak and obviously showing.





So I tightly wrap some braces round the weak areas and needle them firmly -




- then carry on patching and smoothing. I also added more at her back, so that she didn't look too oddly tall.




After about five hours, I have a shape I am happy with and pop some black headed pins in her, so that we can say hello at last. Her proper glass eyes will be added later, but I like to have my toys looking at me while I work on them, so pins will do for now.




Much better - see the improvement? (You can look again now Janet).




21 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is nothing short of magic! I hope her future owner is impressed with your skills as a surgeon. Wonderful.

BumbleVee said...

Whew!! surgery a fait a accomplis....... and perfect!

I always like my faces to have eyes as soon as possible too.... she is a little sweetie now....

Anonymous said...

I haven't done any needle felting for ages - your lovely little creature makes me want to do some NOW ...... not that mine will turn out as fabulous as yours!!

Soozcat said...

Decapitated AND YET LIVES! It's a miracle!

Kathi said...

Amazing! Does that work on humans also? My middle is looking a little too tubby- I could use an extension! Beautiful work! ♥

Little Dotty Bird said...

wow, thats dedication! The new shape is much more slender and elegant and harelike! Great surgery....have you ever considered medical school? ;)

rachel said...

Fascinating. You will show us the finished article, won't you?

Vintage Jane said...

Glad you gave her eyes AFTER the surgery - she may never have recovered from the trauma of seeing her own beheading! M x

Nancy said...

Wow, that was so informative! Thank you! I just started needle felting (I haven't gotten past balls and am having fun. Yours are so smooth and evenly textured. Mine are still in the orange peel stage.

Thank you for the education.

Claire said...

Hey Gretel, such a lot of time and effort goes into your wonderful creatures. It's very interesting to see the processes behind the end result.

I love Willow she's going to be a little beauty.
It's a beautiful,☀ morning here and I'm off to the dentist woohoo. Life can't get much better, lol.....

Claire :}

Jackie said...

My goodness..what a lot of work. Its worth it but I'm sure you don't get paid for anything like the hours you put in.

Unknown said...

Did you like biology when you were little? ;-) I'm glad hare survived her operation.

Frances said...

Gretel, it's interesting to have this behind the scenes view of how you find ways to alter your needle felting, and find a way to get to your original inspiration for a certain character.

Ah, let me also say that I did finally find the Mollie Makes issue with your charming bear and cupcake. I hope that this featuring will give you lots of good publicity and lead to lots of more felting for you.

Getting much cooler hereabouts, and the apartment radiators are steaming away...it's actually a bit too hot here.

Best wishes! xo

jerilanders said...

An amazing amount of work goes into these adorable little creatures. It is always good to have a back-up plan when things go awry,now it is perfect!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Dear Gretel,

I have had a headache all day...and now I know why!!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!! Happy to see Willow feeling herself once again.

She is looking good.

Janet xox

ted and bunny said...

the Marie Antoinette of the hare world!

phew- for a moment there you had me worried....

Twiglet said...

You are such a clever little felter! I am sure she will be as right as rain soon and won't even have a sore throat as a result of your gentle intervention. Jo

Deborah Flint said...

I have a poorly throat and head this evening, and kind of wish I was living close enough to you to also be given a new, improved and less painful throat and head!

It is, as always, amazing to see how you work and fascinating (and impressive) to see such a densely felted cross section.

Hope Willow is happy with her cosmetic surgery :-)

Charlotte said...

fabulous I love the character emerging. Must be the month for hares, just finishing one off at the moment, mine ok around the neck, but did need leg extensions.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished hare

Lrc said...

I love seeing the process you go through especially since I've never tried needle felting. I work with water based clay and with paper mache on occasion though so maybe some of it relates? I agree with liking to see the eyes on a growing creature! Their individual characters are always surprising to me...I look forward to the finished hare too.

Anonymous said...

Poor little thing having a decapitation. Good move because the shape is perfect now. Happy felting!