10.3.11

Simple Stamping



I've been meaning to have a dabble with fabric printing for ages ('Printing by Hand' being a much neglected Christmas present from two years ago) and have finally been galvanised into action by a great find in a charity shop - and only £1!




In mint condition, they are beautifully simple shapes which offer a huge range of possibilities and combinations. I had meant to cut my own blocks, but here was the perfect excuse to have a little indulgent play. I cut up my last length of tea stained cotton into test samples.




I was a bit stuck for fabric paints - all I had were an old set which someone gave me years ago, most of which were dried up, and some odd jars found back in 2007 in the legendary Burford skip. I managed to make a 1970's shade of orange.




And started stamping. I don't have the kind of mind that does measurements very well, but I improvised with my own system of cocktail sticks.



Which worked for me.





What fun! Good music lined up on the stereogramme, tea in a
Matt Grimmitt mug. Fat ginger cat in the background.



A larger block took quite a while to stamp. No wonder the real stuff is so expensive.




I was childishly pleased with the results, simple and rustic as they were and pegged them up proudly.




A few days later I had another go - finding out the hard way that neglecting to check each time for stray blobs results in a bodge.





Unlike needle felting, which can usually be saved, there is no going back with fabric printing and you have to concentrate all the time.




However, with no black or white to tone down my rather limited and garish palette, printing is at a temporary halt while I save my pennies for some new Speedball inks. Which gives me time to think about what I'm going to do with it.




Music to print to

Midlake - The Trials Of Van Occupanther
Midlake - The Courage of Others
Espers - Espers 11

26 comments:

Caroline B said...

If you have any acrylic paints, a weak mix does really well as fabric paint - I've used it to stencil on muslin and it worked well & doesn't wash out. Obviously too thick a mix makes the fabric a bit stiff.

Jill said...

Love the simple style - these look really great. What a great find the stamps were.

Gerry Snape said...

I'm sure that you will think of some great uses for these prints. Don't forget to put up a post and let us see !!

Soozcat said...

Oo, fabric printing! I've got a copy of that book, but haven't yet put it to use. Most curious to know what you will do with the fabric bits.

Frances Tyrrell said...

This looks like very satisfying fun, and all creative play is worth while for its own sake. The white and orange is looking quite sophisticated, like a field of retro-sixties flowers!
Now I'm going on an internet hunt for some of your interesting music choices....

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

darling Gretel - to me there's nothing you can't do and I know with a bit of practice you're going to turn out FAB fabrics now as well!! Can't wait to see what you do with them. I love the word "bodge"....may have to adopt that one.
XO

ellen said...

Gretel, I think that you had some fun here. What a word "fun" is, but I can't come up with another one..it's been a rather complicated day here.
I say that blobs are perfectly acceptable.
I think that I see some lovely journals covered with your fabric.
best to you, e.

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Hey Gretel,

I would use that fabric to create some very quirky patterned stuffed geese.

Loved seeing a photo of you at work. Back in the late 80's I was very much into fabric painting and stenciling on fabric...lot's of fun.

Janet xox

Frances said...

Gretel, I like the green lifesavers pattern best, but like both stampings just fine. Your using the wood toothpicks (as we'd call them) for spacing is so funny.

Like an earlier commenter, I bet that thinned out acrylic paint would work well.

Good to have that attentive cat keeping everying moving at a good pace!

xo

Claire said...

Hey Gretel, what a fab find at the charity shop, you certainly couldn't pass that one up..........

Can't wait to see what you use the fabric for and what stamping adventures you get up to.

Have a stamping good weekend,

Claire :}

Twiglet said...

Hi Gretel - if you want more rubber stamps, Annie has loads for sale in our blog shop. I am sure she would let you choose just the ones you want. It reminded me of teaching infants - we used to have loads of fun potato printing!

Anonymous said...

Great find, Gretel!What fun and it's such a versatile medium with plenty of applications. Well done and have fun! :0)

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Thats a really great find, and looks like so much fun (I love it when you get right in too it, with right music and setting)... I like the orange rings.

Catherine Hayward said...

Looks gorgeous, I love the orange colour especially. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your fabrics! If you have pastry/cookie cutters, try using them for fine outlines. Isn't it amazing what you can find in charity shops - I got two embroidery hoops and a set of very fine crochet hooks yesterday!

JGG said...

I'm sooo impressed, where do you find the time - next thing you'll be making your own stamps!

Doda said...

that looks like great fun. What are you going to make with the cotton I wonder?

Pam said...

Looks like fun.

jfidz said...

Simple, very effective - can't wait to see what you do with them.

auntpearl said...

Turned out absolutely wonderful.
Looks like you are having fun.

Sending you hugs,

Anonymous said...

Aint nowt wrong w' simple and rustic, I should know. I like 'em.

Acornmoon said...

it's great to have a play now and again isn't it? It recharges the batteries like nothing else, especially when the play is mixed with creativity.

sab said...

Repetition of movement in agreement with the music. Wonderfull album of Midlake

Fibrespace said...

I received that book the Christmas before last as well, still not done any thing from it myself. Your mole from the other post is so cute, I love her little dress.

Yvonne Moxon said...

Wow these are lovely! its been ages since I dabbled in a bit of fabric painting I must have a go again thanks for getting me thinking again!

Yvonne Moxon said...

meant to say...what a fab charity shop find! they truely are treasure troves!