10.9.08

Studio shots (again)

I love my studio. I never thought I would be lucky enough to have such a comprehensive collection of books and equipment, all of which are invaluable to me as an artist. It has all been carefully garnered over the years, mostly cheaply or for nothing. It is my nest, my solace, my friend. I've posted pictures of it before, and I don't think the Internet will break if I post a few more. As so many of us love looking at other people's books (I certainly do!) I have kept these pictures quite large, so if you want to click on an image, you can browse some of my thousands (really) of books.

This
is my main notice board, with various cards from friends - artist and otherwise. The gorgeous dog print is 'Charlie', a superb wood engraving from my printer friend Sue Woollatt. Handy pile of sketchbooks, sewing basket, and that velvet embroidered church runner I found in a jumble sale for about 10p, circa 1985.




The right hand wall, a happy medley of nice books, boxes of paper treasures and toys. And two massive stacks of dvds (from the time before we caved in and aquired a TV). Madeline, a rag doll I made when I was about 18...she was supposed to have a dress. I planned to go into business and make lots of rag dolls, but that was way back in the mid 1980's, before universal internet and long before Etsy was born. It never happened.



Can one ever have enough picture books?




I don't think so...




My work table, just how I like it. I can't work in a mess. A few new needle felt toys sat waiting for...something. And the beginnings of an oil painting I keep trying to find time for.




The left hand corner...




...and my other 'best bookcase'...this one I rescued from a stone outhouse in a graveyard, where I was employed to mow the grass. It was in a damp corner and used for storing paint cans on. I rescued it (with the vicar's permission of course!) and with some cleaning and waxing, it came up lovely. A nice honest bit of handmade country furniture, all wood jointed, with a lovely patina.



The way out...goodbye!




The full set of twelve 'round the studio tour' is on my Flickr page, here, with detailed notes as to what everything is.


1. Facing the studio door, 2. Notice board, 3. Craft book collection, 4. Oak bookcase, 5. Right hand wall, 6. Picture books, 7. Vintage picture books and toys, 8. Work Table, 9. Left hand corner, 10. Best bookcase, 11. The way out

28 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love looking at other people's work spaces.
Such wonderful numbers of books.
At least your desk has a lovely clear space on it.

Kim said...

Wow, it would be hard not to feel inspired and motivated in that lovely room. Thanks for sharing it Gretel, I needed cheering up today, and a kick in the seat to get me going :)

Kim x

tut-tut said...

What a great and wonderful space; inspiration at every turn. And great light!

tut-tut said...

I took your Flickr tour; I wish I could disappear inside. There are so many things now I'd like to pick up and look at in person!

Anonymous said...

I love looking at other people's creative spaces! Mine is a horrible mess at the moment.Now I feel inspired to clean it today :)

Susan Mitchell said...

I wish I could teleport to your house. I think we would have a wonderful afternoon drinking tea and browsing through all your lovely books - we have a lot of the same ones, old and new :)

Caroline B said...

I think if I came round your house, you'd have to get me to empty my pockets before I left - so much lovely 'stuff'!! Well done on being so tidy too.

Acornmoon said...

Hi, thanks for letting me have a good old nosey at your studio and books. An embroidered church runner for ten pence!!! That has to be the sale of the century, lucky you, its a treasure. Lovely,inspiring artwork, especially the woodblock print.

How are you getting on with the gocco?

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It just crackles with creativity. Our bookshelves are very similar...jam-packed!

My husband has, what we call, his little figure shelf. He loves tiny toys, little oddities, etc, and keeps them all on a special shelf where they are often rearranged into strange and stranger vignettes. He would love your studio as much as I.

Frances said...

Fantastic space. It is so tailor made and full of inspiring corners, and colors, and light, and books, and projects underway. And, and, and.

Thank you for the photos.
Cheers!

Karen said...

Hello Gretel,
I just followed the path from silver apples of the moon and reached your lovely blog. :)
Wow! wonderful books! and loads of old ones. (I especially love the covers of old books)
You are lucky to have such an inspiring work space. Thanks for sharing it
Karen x

Unknown said...

Your studio is wonderful and I love your book collection. Here in New England they have walking studio tours and you can visit each artist's studio. I love to see where people create, it is so inspirational. Karen

Anonymous said...

this so could be my studio, except that most of my books are in my living room and most of my studio houses piles of fabric now......
You inspire me to be brave and show more of my stash.......:)

Unknown said...

I love your studio too - do you take interns ;-)

Jennifer Thermes said...

Cozy clutter... I love it! (And books make great insulation, no?) Thanks for sharing your space! :-)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Yes, comprehensive is the word and wow too. Thanks for your "Sticky Buns" vote ;~) It certainly is the top favorite......

OldBagNewTricks said...

Your lovely studio is cozy and inspiring and somehow soothing... I should like to sit in there for hours and hours, looking at books, dickering with a project, drawing up plans. I think you've got this work room just right -- no wonder you love it so.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness me I can see why you love your studio! I found myself smiling and smiling looking at these pictures. Some of it looks shockingly familiar, do I have to leave? :(

Rima Staines said...

Wow, you do have a lovely studio Gretel. I remember it well.. tho I think it has got a little fuller and acquired a snazzy new piece of computer since then! I like that church runner. I also spy a familiar postcard... and lots of familiar books... in fact I spy rather a lot of things! An EXCELLENT place all round I'd say :)

ellen said...

This is such a lovely, soothing and warming place. Were I an artist (sigh) I would be right at home here. There are so many things of beauty to look at and I especially love how you have collected such beauty over the years of financial hardship and struggle. All of these must mean so much more to you, at least I would think so. Thank you for sharing.

Terry Banderas said...

Nice post. Great seeing your library. Purchasing books and manuals is as addicting as buying art supplies.

Contessa Kris said...

Your studio is mesmerizing. Can I just come one day and sit and read and play with the toys? Looks like a wonderful-land to me.

CashmereLibrarian said...

For the first time in my life I have a sewing room and your studio is an inspiration to me!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Good to see someone else's mess ooops studio..... so similar to mine over here across the pond. Books, oh yes, they are a constant source of inspiration. And they do fill every corner eventually!

Lovely place. I could move in.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I so love your studio, Gretel!!! All those wonderful books!!!! I am drooling.... I would just sit there for hours if I could, devouring them all. .... Just touring your studio makes my hands itchy to get busy creating something!! Oh thank you!!

Dana and Daisy said...

your studio reminds me of my own, up in the eaves of my attic, with one dormer window, and too many books! Yours are more neatly arranged however than mine!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This was fun to see the space where the genius happens. So much to look at - all those lovely books. I do have a question about something small....the white ceramic looking thing that your brushes rest on. Funny the things that catch ones eye...although MANY things caught my eye during the tour!
XOXO

BumbleVee said...

Mine is waaaay too tidy by comparison. I think it means I am not doing nearly enough "stuph"... lol....

I especially love the window space...AND...I spy some cute little bears! The little guy in the center has a great face.....oooh...and look at all the little containers..and other knicknacks.... I could spend all day in here, just enjoying a good look around...