26.4.06

Autumn in Springtime

If someone could tell me where the time went could they please tell me? Spring cleaning used some of it - four days in fact...I had to get out this afternoon; it wasn't a particularly bright day, but my legs took control and marched me off to the fields. The hedgerows are just beginning to foam with blossom - mainly Hawthorn and Blackthorn. It is quite easy to tell the difference between the two, which usually grow side by side along the country roads. The Hawthorn has larger leaves, and the green mingles prettily in the whiteness of the flowers...




Whereas the Blackthorn is a creamy spattering on a dark chocolate backdrop...the Milky Way of the roadside.


Furthur along, Granny Crab Apple is showing her Spring petticoats. When these furbiloes are gone, she will disappear into the woods again, until Autumn, when we will know her whereabouts by the pretty golden apples she drops - sour little balls which make the sweetest jelly.



Heading back to the village...and spotting a sketch opportunity...



The frame of the Hawthorn to the right gave me an idea for another lino-cut....



Isolating the tree and using the curve of the lane to mould the bottom. I added the horizon line, but it felt overcrowded - I preferred the original with its spaciousness of a mysterious 'beyond - the beckoning of a pathway...




...which, thanks to the magic of Photoshop, I can show here. I will eventually have to invest in some lino, as I am building up quite a backlog of primary drawings.



Returning to my studio...I have just finished a whole chapter of 'woodland creatures' - where it has been Autumn. Which feels a bit unsettling. However I'm about to move onto a 'Springier' set of pictures.


I have been offered another quick job, which has to be finished by roughs stage May 2/3. I've been a bit leisurely with my work rate recently, so it will do me good to have to think quickly and put my nose to the grindstone. The next job is always forefront of my mind, and I've had no replies yet about my two book submissions.

I hope they can breathe at the bottom of the slush pile...




13 comments:

Maya said...

Your blog is like a gate into a magical world Gretel! :)

I love the second sketch...it gives you the feeling you are being pulled into the picture, floating with the leaves into the distance!

I want to see a close up of those gorgeous looking illustrations you have on your board!! Very yummy colours there!! :)

Becky said...

Your write so beautifully Gretel! The lino cut designs are gorgeous, the first one looks to me like a lane leading down to a secret cove with the sea stretching away into the distance towards another headland on the horizon.

I agree with Maya, I'd really like to see a closeup of the woodland creatures too, if possible!

Did you paint the colour charts especially for that project?

Good luck with the new job,

Gretel said...

Darlings...I thank you....

I have just got perm to post pictures, so I will later. And yes, the colour charts are for the book - limited palette - Very Good Training...well spotted Becky!
(I needed a pat on the head for those!)

Gail said...

It looks like you had a nice walk yesterday, and well done with the sketch for the future lino print ... you've got quite a set ready to do there!

Colour charts "fascinate" me, I love colour swatch books and things ... sad I know.

I can't wait to see those illustrations too ... such a teasing peek you've given us! ;)

Joanna said...

I love all the blossom out now, its so pretty.

You looked like you had a really nice walk.

Time does seem to fly I wish I knew where too. I could get so much more done in a day if there was more time.

Oh good you will post the illustrations later, I will look forward to seeing them.

Gordon Fraser said...

I agree with Maya Gretel! Coming here is like a breath of fresh air! You write beautifully as well, check out my latest writings....can't put 2 words together without mentioning tanks!!

Get those new illos up!!

Sarah said...

Get some lino my imaginary friend... those sketches will make brilliant prints, a whole series, and put some words with them. I agree with everyone, you do write beautifuly. Happy springtime.

lettuce said...

I found you whilst blog-hopping - and love your writing and your art. Now my daughter is getting beyond the picture-book stage, i've had to revert to buying them for myself. I never stopped as I 'grew up" - childrens literature is quite a compulsion.

In another ideal life I think I'd be a children's writer and illustrator (and a weaver) (and gardener). So - I will be visiting your blog again!

Cathy said...

Love the blackthorn ... it always makes me gasp every year when it appears.

CAS xxx

The fabric of my life said...

Another beautiful blog Gretel and gorgeous preliminary drawings. I too went on a walk yesterday and took photos of the hawthorn and brilliant yellow gorse against the blue blue sky. I shall post it sometime soon. I would love some help in naming colours and shades. I always have trouble describing colours of my fabrics as my knowledge is so limited. Is there anywhere online to look?

Gretel said...

Hi Dons, :-) well, this is a nice one, but takes a bit of ploughing through -

http://webexhibits.org/pigments/index.html

and this one is even more nerdy -

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/palette1.html

your best bet is an online art shop like this one

http://tinyurl.com/ggz5r

Or you could order a (real) catalogue online from a good art dealer like

http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/images/fp_jacksonsuk.php

their catalogue has pages of nice palettes for inspiration.

So we can look forward to even more luscious descriptions of your lovely fabrics!

The fabric of my life said...

Thanks Gretel. I knew I could depend on you sweetie ;-)

lorna said...

oh how wonderful they all look pinned up there! And those plans for a lino cut are looking beautiful. Hope you have the time to enjoy the spring. :o)