30.5.10

Coming up for air


Another job completed, packed up and off on it's travels and another deadline notched up. Just one more big one to go and life might resume an even keel.
In order to get the work done, I've had to turn into a virtual hermit, but things are getting a little easier (
she prayed, with her fingers tightly crossed) and I've even managed to update my antique blog template so I can be like all the other kids at school with *followers* and things. Marvellous.
I have many forthcoming thank yous to say to certain lovely people who have sustained me with gifts over the last few months, but this is a special thank you to my friend Janet of The Empty Nest, who caused a bit of a stir in
our superb little Delicatessen (one of the few 'real' shops in the village), or rather, the box she ordered for me did. I was shuffling about at the back of a loose queue of well dressed, sharp faced *ladies*, who were ordering all manner of gorgeous things, feeling rather out of place in my scruffy combats, waiting to buy a little pork pie to take with me to a cricket match. When it was finally my turn, I asked for my pie, only to be handed this amazing box of delights -
There, in the middle, nestling like a good child at Sunday School, is one of my beloved local
Cerney Pyramids, prince of cheeses and a rare treat. Also Barkham Blue, Cotswold ham, and my pork pie, made across the border by the Cotswold pudding Company in Gloucestershire as well as one of their famous puddings . And for good luck, Chris the kind deli owner popped in a box of Willy's World Class Cacao, which might be familiar to those in the who saw the TV series. I literally gulped for air as Chris explained who had sent it and staggered out of the shop with the *ladies* watching me. And although I had to take some work to the cricket match...


...it was made more luxurious with an impromptu little picnic and some Selvedge and Country Living magazines. Thank you so much Janet for making me feel very special at a time when I needed it most.
(I am in the process of updating my previous links, so don't worry if you've been there and now aren't (most of you) will be again!)

25 comments:

Julia Guthrie said...

Congrats on getting your latest deadline completed! I know you have been working very hard.
I must say, I am in love with your little 'Ship' ornaments in the first picture...beautiful :)
And what a wonderful treat from Janet!!! It warms your heart to recieve a suprise like that doesn't it :)
Enjoy some of that cheese for me won't you? lol xxx

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Dear Gretel,
You deserved a little treat and Chris was a delight to work with. So happy my package included some of your favorites...your former blog post gave me clues as to what you might favor. Happy snacking! Enjoy your 2 days off.
your friend from across the pond,
Janet

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Love the new look here. Very nice!
Isn't it wonderful to get an unexpected treat. There's nothing better than when I spot the florist making his way up my walk with flowers for me. I am walking on air for days.

And, as for being a hermit.... well, sometimes that is such an attractive idea.

Yarrow said...

What a wonderful surprise for you. I hope you enjoyed every bit as you totally deserve a treat. I can't wait to see what you've been doing, when you can share it. Do take care :)

BumbleVee said...

Wonderful...things are moving right along.

It's great to have a little picnic every so often...to unwind and to stretch out a bit... staying cramped over books and wool can kill you right off....

justherdingcats said...

looks lovely here And your box of delights delicious! Hope you can have some time to enjoy the sunshine now and of course the cricket! My boys have been playing non-stop!

Soozcat said...

Hooray for Janet! That seems a princely box (not to mention a tasty one--the contents, that is, not the box).

Here's hoping your schedule becomes a little less insane in the near future and that cricket season is, um, crickety. :)

tut-tut said...

What a treat! hope you are easing away from too much to do. I know how stressful that is.

Southern Lady said...

What a wonderful treat! Glad you were able to sit back and relax for a while. Carla

Claire said...

Hey Gretel, what a wonderful surprise. Nice to be spoilt and no doubt it was very timely. That Janet is such a creative, thoughtful and clever lady.
Love the photos, have been admiring the carved prints.Glad there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's been a very long journey.
Hope Andy had a win, looks like a lovely picnic.

myletterstoemily said...

well done! and good luck on the
next deadline!

Danielle Barlow said...

Oh you lucky thing! How lovely to have an unexpected treat :)

Chrissie said...

What a fantastic box of delights! Love the 'new look' too.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift!! The other morning when I was out walking I came across a bee lying in the middle of the road, on his back, his little legs waving feebly. As I didn't have a saucer/water/sugar about my person, I managed to coax him on to a tissue and tried to put him on a the sunny side of the verge .... he wouldn't get off the tissue, so I ended up being a litterbug, leaving him sitting happily in the sun!!

ps - you've reminded me that I must update my list of blogs I read!

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Isn't it lovely to feel special like that and you do deserve it.

School on the Heath said...

Oh my! What a confluence of lovely happenings. A sunny Cotswold day,
a cricket match, a luxurious hamper and a little leisure to enjoy it all. Congratulations on meeting your deadlines.
I did enjoy the virtual tour of your collections, especially the printing blocks.

Janet said...

I popped by saying to myself - "no. She's working on a deadline and can't post" and what a lovely surprise to find not just a new post, but a whole new look! Thanks for giving a lift to my day.
Janet in Nova Scotia

Caroline B said...

What a lovely surprise! Glad you are on the home straight now - you won't know what to do with yourself when the last deadline is met!

Rosie said...

Wow, it looks like Enid Blyton land and your studio is terrific. Can't thank you enough for introducing me to felting. It's getting addictive...

Frances Tyrrell said...

Look at your little golden ships on the bookshelf - symbolic of pilgrimage, appropriately enough, as you complete what sounds like a substantial body of work.

What a well-deserved and well-timed care package. The contents look delectable, especially that sticky chocolate pudding.

And who is that sweet little pink dog who joined the picnic - someone new?

Claire said...

Hey Gretel, the ink on my post was barely dry and you had already stopped by to visit and leave a comment - a lovely surprise.
I can't imagine you living in any anything less than a Brambly Hedge style cottage.
Whenever you post photos of your lovely home, I swoon (now there's a word!)
No mouse in his right mind would enter your cottage with 4 cats on the prowl even with your stash of yummy cheeses beckoning!
Even as an adult Jill Barklem had me entranced for years with her lovely illustrations. If only I could've stepped through the page into one of those lovely scenes....

auntpearl said...

So nice to see your post. Think of you quite often. Hope you are doing and feeling well.
Hugs,

The Pea Pod said...

Flippin heck, what a fantastic gift from your friend!

Nice blog, I've been lurking for a while so I thought it was high time I should make contact! x

Twiglet said...

Oh Yum yum! lucky you - enjoy every morsel and then that last job will be done in no time!!

Paula Bowles said...

ooh, I have a similar little ship like the one you have there (the wibbly wobbly one on the right of the photo) except mine isn't as shiny!

What a lovely hamper of food goodies :)