30.10.11

Halloween treats



Earlier this month I went AWOL on my orders again and made a little Halloween mouse, who is already well settled in her new home. It was my first attempt at a ruff; much spitting and swearing (well, mild cursing anyway) ensued, as I fiddled about with unruly ribbon.




And then, just as I thought I'd cracked the perfect technique, I thought of a better way of doing it and had to re-do the whole thing again the next day.



But we got there in the end. Her head and arms are thread jointed and moveable.




The heart I always put on my toys was popped onto her tail end.




I like ruffs a lot and now that I've worked them out, they'll be making more appearances. I searched for the perfect name, and found a miniature type of pumpkin called 'Baby Boo' ,which was just right.



By happy coincidence, the kind person who was taking on my fat little Halloween mouse, also sent me an unexpected present, which arrived just as I was about to post her off. Photo opportunity of course!




My first and only Halloween decoration, a sparkly glass pumpkin half which is now dangling with my best treasures. (Thank you again to the gifter!)




And here she is in her new home, suitably surrounded by other festive decorations, saying hello to Griselda the goose witch - quite scary to think that I made her
two years ago.




Luckily Baby Boo had already left by the time this awesome hoard of American candy landed with a hefty thump on the doorstep - an incredibly generous box of sweets from lovely
Sooz, who knows that we like Dove Promises and Jellybeans and threw *just a few* more things in as well. Had Baby Boo found them she might not have been able to fit into her mailing box.





24 comments:

Chris.P said...

Fantastic as usual gretel.

Really dig the tree...scuse the pun:)

rachel said...

Of all the things to love about your toys, Gretel, I love the little trademark heart best....

Charlotte said...

She is just adorable, she looks as though she could take on Griselda though.

julochka said...

baby boo is so sweet! and I love the tree in the first photo. and your Halloween tree in the background! have a bit of envy of your American Halloween candy stash, I do miss those pumpkins....*sigh*

Mytutorlist.com said...

You make the most amazing toys. I love them, and especially that amazing tree! Thanks for sharing!

Moon and Hare said...

So creative, as usual! Love that little heart on the tail.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Oh Gretel! The detail! Wow! So great!! xoSteph

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You are so talented.
I'm just shaking my head in amazement.
Love the tree!

Caroline B said...

Simply marvelous!
Your sweetie stash looks like the contents of our suitcases when we returned from the US last week - I love the way the Americans go all out for Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Baby Boo is gorgeous - and I love ehwere you have put the heart. As for all those treats ...... delicious!!

Marzenciuk said...

Absolutelly adorable :) I love your felting things. Greetings

Marzenciuk said...

Thank you :)

Laurel said...

Gretel, Baby Boo is totally adorable, her name is perfect, and both (tree and mouse) are just spectacular works of art. The tree looks like it must have been really fiddly work especially.

Frances said...

Gretel, the tree and the little pumpkin mouse subtly show you stretching those felting talents even further.

I'd have been doing some creative mumbling, too, if I'd been trying to get a ruff on a pumpkin mouse. You got it perfectly placed, and it's a great touch.

A very Happy Halloween to you and Andy. xo

Vy said...

Wonderfull, so sweet!!
Happy Halloween dear!
Kisses from Brazil! Vy

Frances Tyrrell said...

I don't know whih is more charming, Boo or the Kay Neilson-ish tree.

Love the ruff! Such a lot of work goes into making those sit right - what is that delicate fabric?

Happy Hallowe'en!

Deb said...

Stunning work as always Gretel. I always love reading your blog and seeing the many pictures you take and post. the halloween bauble is very very nice. x

Gemma Mortlock said...

She is gorgeous! and i love your glass pumpkin!
Big hugs
Gem
x

Nancy said...

I love your tree and Boo! I admit I bought one of your lino prints and am eagerly awaiting it's presence in my mailbox. I couldn't resist - I love your art!

Soozcat said...

Loving the tree, and Baby Boo's teeny and perfect ruff.

I also get a kick out of the name on that one tin, for some reason: it's not fruity, it's FRUTaY! (Enjoy!)

purple said...

Amazing work of art!
**rita

The BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY said...

My oh my! What a sweet treat little
Baby Boo is!!
Blessings and Hugs, Linnie

Bee said...

Baby Boo is adorable, with her ruff and pumpkin tail.

I envy you the "autumn mix" sweets. Sickly sweet, yes, but a childhood favorite of mine.

Michelle Walker said...

I really love that tree and is flowing shape. Beautiful
Mxo