19.4.08

Weekend Dispatches

Delivered - one plumpy-lumpy sack.




I have got to the point where I need serious amounts of wool and as many colours as I find in my normal paint palette. My toy designs are cramming my head, (I even go to sleep visualising them as I drift off) and it is so frustrating to know exactly what colours I want them to be, but not to have them at my fingertips. And worse, to run out of a colour when a toy is half done. Thanks to a much needed royalty check I
was able to splurge a little at Wingham Wools - hence the mysterious lump. I hadn't quite realised how big nearly 6KG (13.2 lbs) would be...like a child at Christmas I upended the sack. Out spilled dozens of wool bundles, like so many tubby, multi-coloured kittens tumbling over the floor.



Being the original anal retentive I had to line them up in a vague colour chart...



Sighs of deep satisfaction from one contented artist. My trousers have holes, my boots are falling apart, but I have enough wool to felt a menagerie of creatures. Priorities.

Found - a lovely set of 1960's toy making books -



Some retaining the original patterns -





Also found - an early 1962 Oxford University Press edition of the Pied Piper by Robert Browning, illustrated by Howard Jones...





Arrived
- Lily Laguna, my second bird-mobile, has
found the perfect home with Gifling where she is living in another artist's studio, so will feel very much at home. Thank you Gillian!

Discovered - my new site of the week, illustrations to die for, a new name to me - Jean-Baptiste Monge. If you like Brian Froud you will love, love, love this artist's work. And he keeps a blog too. It is all on French, so if, like me, your language skills are a little rusty, then the Google translation tool does a very good job - simply put the url of the page in, choose which language to change from and away you go!


(What have I been needle felting? Ahhh...this and that...)



25 comments:

Quico said...

The most great of all of this... is see the work you will do with all of the new things...
Sorru if I don't express it very well...
¡I love your work!!

Catherine Hayward said...

Eee I'm just the same when I get a batch of wool delivered! Can't wait to see what you've been making.
Jean-Baptiste Monge is tres tres Brian Froud, very nice :) (I'm quite the fan of Brian Froud. He's done a few booksignings at the little independant bookshop here, very nice and mild mannered)

carolyn said...

All those bundles of wool look just wonderful and I'd love to get a good look at those toy making books. Great find. Can't wait to see the completed "...this and that...)!

Tea said...

Wow...what fun you`re going to have making all those lovely things!!!

tea
xo

ellen said...

As long as you are warm..who cares about boots and trousers...?
I am so happy that you got all of that wool, and those lovely books!
What a wonderful weekend, what interrupting dreams you will have!
I am looking forward to seeing what you create. You deserve all of these goodies.

Caroline B said...

I'm just salivating at the sight of all that wool!!! Of course you have your priorities straight (says the woman who can't get to the back of her kitchen for boxes of wool, beads, material...) Can't wait to see your future creations.

Belinha Fernandes said...

Hello!Lovely felt toys and draws!I enjoyed the process of making a toy!It was a mystery-now I know!Congrats on your work and also for sharing it!

Gail said...

Wow that is a load of wool - can't wait to see what you create with it all ... I placed an order yesterday - but only for 800grams - and am so looking forward to a colourful parcel next week.

I finally sat down yesterday and brought needle to wool to create my first 3D needle felt creation ... I'll post a piccie of him on my blog soon ... ;)

natural attrill said...

I love those toy making books, what a great find!
Mixing the wool is good too, have you tried that? making your own colours, takes time, but you can get some lovely mottled effects.
P.x

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Yummy wool. Thanks for all your regular blogging habits. I have been inspired to dust off my blog, it may not be as entertaining as yours, but I figured out how to get a picture of a cow on it.......

Frances said...

Yes, there is nothing like a fresh load of supplies to get those creative juices going. The colors are absolutely beautiful!

I will have to take a look at the site you recommend. xo

Soozcat said...

Oh, those gorgeous colors!

Really enjoying Jean-Baptiste Monge. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

AC said...

lots of colour and goodies...Yum.
Take care,
Alison x

Unknown said...

packages are always so exciting - but large sacks ... filled with goodies ... I think I'd be smiling all week. Can't wait to see the new animals!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting lumpy parcel that was! Those colours are so scrummy I bet you can't wait to start using them. I like the look of the toy-making books too and the fairy illustrators are breath-taking! I think you can tell I liked this post! :)

moonandhare said...

Ooh, what lovely, lovely yarn! I feel like that, too, when I get some supplies in. Can't wait to see what you make with your yarn...

natural attrill said...

What a lot of wool! if it's any conselation i have about 20kg of buttons!
Toby.

Mary Beth said...

The best kind of package! And what gorgeous colors. I can't wait to see what amazing creatures burst forth from it. I have visions of sweaters dancing through my head. I'm almost finished the one I'm working on and my mind is racing ahead to the next one:)

Anonymous said...

O.K. - I know that "Thou shalt not covet" - but really - I wish I had all that wool...and I wish I knew what to do with it. I am so bummed that I don't know a single soul who know's how to use it. I want to make a felted wool animal so badly and I have no "Obi Wan Kenobi" to teach me! By the way - I am also extremely jealous of the book with all the patterns in it. Care to share any of those? Have a great week and know that your site gives inspiration galore!

Gigibird said...

First I started drooling at the wool then my eyes fell upon those books....I covet them soo much...
Get felting!

jmb_craftypickle said...

all that wool looks so exciting...I can't wait to see what will become of it all...your flickr pics are so sweet and well taken I have been showing everyone!! Great job!

auntpearl said...

I can just imagine all the little wonderful characters you have in mind...Can't wait to meet them.

Hugs,

Karen Jinks said...

oh my goodness can I move in? You won't notice me, honest lol!!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Those toymaking books from the 60's are a great find! And how fun to get that sack of wool. I love getting things in the mail. :-)

Dana and Daisy said...

Wonderful book finds! And lovely felted creatures, too. I'd love to link you on my Calicocatpress site.
Happy felting!