30.12.06

Christmas

...was our usual quiet togetherness. Reverting back to our student days in terms of drinking good beer and slobbing out. I baked the grandmother of all Christmas cakes...

hand blanching almonds - hours of fun for everyone!

and our little living tree was invited in - he has been with us for eleven years and we decorate him a few days before Christmas...


The lovely wood fairies called again, with six sumptuous sacks of logs, and Secret Santa left a mysterious bundle on the doorstep on Christmas Eve. Somehow 'he' knew I am in the middle of a tea towel famine. (Andy has used most of them to clean the bike with). Not only did I get a beautiful Emma Bridgewater tea towel which I can't quite bring myself to use, but a somewhat eccentric miscellany of coal, logs, a clockwork cowboy, fruit, nuts sprouts, chocolates and glittery stars. Eccentric, unless you know me well and how delighted I would be with it all. I think
I know who it was though...

My Christmas SOSF match sent me delightful hand made ceramic decorations...thank you so much Sarah, they will be treasured.


There was splendid Christmas box from another kind fairy - complete with sweet handpainted card...

jampacked with goodies, as every respectable hamper should be

...which magically turned into a Pumpkin...

"I would eat the world if I could get my jaws round it"

...and a mere two days rest for Andy before he had to return to the Valhalla of retail where he is gainfully employed.

Next blog installment - Christmas card Heaven and the biggest 'Thank You' letter I have ever written.

15 comments:

joanna said...

You write so beautifully, Gretel; it sounds like a perfect Christmas, and your living tree is delightful. Save me a piece of that cake ;) - only kidding, I'm sure it is too yummy to leave hanging around!!!

Gretel said...

Andy has nearly eaten all the cake...unbelievable! We thought you were the Secret Santa at first, but trogging all the way over the border to deliver some anonymous sprouts would have been waaayy beyond the call of duty, especially on Christmas Eve!

Anonymous said...

That Christmas cake looks so delicious - I love the pattern of almonds and cherries on the top - must have taken you ages! Your little tree looks very festive all decked out in his christmas finery and snuggled into the corner with all of those wonderful treasures on your shelves. Glad you enjoyed Christmas - have a happy New Year.

natural attrill said...

I love the bird on the top of your tree!
P.xx

Daisy Lupin said...

Have a fantastic New Year. I think the bird on top of your tree is magnificent.

Anonymous said...

Starting with the cake makes me think you had a very nice Christmas. Wish I could have been there to have a little taste.

The bird at the top of your tree is just beautiful.

Have a wonderful New Year.
Hugs,
Connie

Libbys Blog said...

How lovely to see your tree, and so beautifully decorated! We bought a rooted tree this year which I will tend (lovingly)and bring in next year, I'm so glad it may last more than a couple of years!!
Happy New Year!!
Libby

Paula Bowles said...

HoHoHo! How mysteeeeerious that Santa knew about your teatowel shortage!

Cathy said...

What a lovely cake, tree etc!

The birdie on the top of the tree reminded me of the one on Maya's Christmas card.

Anonymous said...

The cake looked too lovely to cut into, I'm green with envy for the bird tree topper and your ginger cat could be my Tai's twin...he'd love the box, too. I'm thrilled that you've had a wonderful Christmas with lots of secret elves and such leaving treats on your doorstep!
A very Happy New Year to all...

Joanna said...

Looks like you had a lovely christmas. I alwasy love the pictures of your little cottage, it looks so warm and inviting. Happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Oh it sounds like you and Andy had a marvellos Christmas hope your New Year is as good. Happy New Year!

French Fancy... said...

the pictures are absolutely adorable. That has to be the best looking home baked cake evah!

Happy New Year
from
Julie

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

I agree- beautiful pictures and that has to be my favorite Christmas Tree of 2006- hands down...

Dear Gretel , here I am nagging you again to PLEASE write and illustrate a book about your life in the country. Please?

Gretel said...

Dear Steph :) Thank you - you are too kind! I regard my blog as being my 'book' (and who would want to publish it anyway?) To be honest, not much happens to me at all, and when it does, you read it here. That's about one incidence every two weeks. The rest is reeaalllyyy uneventful...but I'm so glad you enjoy it; - a writer's best reward.