22.3.09

Spring Sunday


A Happy Mothering Sunday to all mothers out there, especially mine, wherever she is in spirit. And to all cake bakers of all kinds - this little bear was a very special commission for my friend Miskellaneous, for her mother based on her own idea - I couldn't even begin to needle felt a tiny wooden spoon, so I had the 'onerous' task of buying a doll's house one, measuring a wee 2.5 cm.



It's been such a gorgeous day, and Spring is putting a very vigorous foot forward. My walks are full of activity and surprise - this is such a lovely and accidental shot. Not lovely because of my limited camera skills, but in the natural composition of the birds, two crows mobbing a buzzard who has infringed on their nesting area. It reminds me of a Chinese print in its perfect, graphic simplicity, (due entirely to fluke). The birds on the left with the downwards wings are the crows, bravely chasing off a bird of prey three times their size, on the right.





I seem to have developed a fairly vigorous foot myself, being up at 7.30 this morning, and quietly leaving a very tired Andy sleeping, to scurry off into the fresh sunshine. Recently I've been scouring the fields for hares, and this morning I caught my first one, a big chap dozing quietly on the sun baked earth. He blended in so well, that unless you were actually looking for him, you would probably not realise he was there. Lain like this, he looks exactly like a Victorian jelly mould. Alas, my zoom, as ever, is never long enough, so do click on the picture for a closer look.





Not content with my usual trot round the village, we went up to the Barrington and Sherbourne Estates, to see what was happening there. No hares, but a large gap where a much admired something used to be...





Notice anything missing? It's my nice green metal barn, possibly considered an eyesore by some, but a favourite landmark of mine on one of our regular walks. Andy says the farm is more in keeping with the landscape now, and I daresay he is right. But I loved that old carbuncle and its faded hideous green.




Last but certainly not least, many thanks to My Bella Bleu for featuring me on her blog, I have to admit I sometimes forget I sell cards and all that, but am always highly flattered when people say such nice things about my work and she has been very kind indeed.



31 comments:

tut-tut said...

Bucolic photos.

That bear is amazing. How you got the batter to be, well, batter is beyond me.

Cat said...

The bear is beautiful and I too would love to know how did you get the batter to look so realistic?

Sue said...

Just sitting down after saying goodbye to the last of the visiting olds and clearing up the remains of the lunch table... how lovely to be greeted by a new story from the Cotswolds... Like you I am enjoying the early mornings now it is light... the day seems so much fuller of possibilities now :-)

Gretel said...

Hi Cathy - no big secret about the batter, just about 2 hours of very fiddly and careful work with one felting needle!

Lyn said...

Loved the bear, he's gorgeous
love
Lyn
xxx

spinyurchin said...

Wonderful bear and thank you for reminding me that it is Mother's Day in England ( different to Canada!). Yikes. I need to jump on the phone now!

Louise | Italy said...

Great pictures. Spring has arrived, even in England.

Jackie said...

Its the character you man.age to portray that amazes me. Wonderful luttle baker bear

Wyldhare said...

What a wonderful bear! I hear polar bears are well known for their baking skills!

Your spring photos of your area, I can't wait to get back to the UK in May for the wedding of my husband's adult son. :)

Caroline B said...

The bear is delightful, you amaze me with the precision you get out of what is basically fluff!
I haven't seen a hare since I was a child - how lucky you are. Although as I walk with two (ostensibly!) hunting dogs, any interesting wildlife has probably gone by the time I get there.

Anonymous said...

Every time you have a photo of one of your projects on here I just fall in love with it. Your skill with felt is so amazing. I always wonder how you get it so smooth, do you trim it with little scissors, thats the only way I can smooth it out some, but I never get any where near the quality of yours.....
You inspire me to work on felt again, its been a little bit since I did a project.
Your outing looks lovely. Its great to be outdoors enjoying nature!

Acornmoon said...

Lucky you to have seen a hare!

I love your bear with his little spoon, he's gorgeous.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Love that little drip of batter on the outside rim of the bowl. Looks like a lovely Spring in your part of the world!

Frances said...

A swan, a hare, a cake-making polar bear.

The poetry of the trio of birds is full of grace.

Thank you for taking me out of doors down lanes I would never otherwise know.

Jess said...

That cooking bear is so beautifully made. Each piece you produce astonishes me even more. I love the pointy nose!x

My Bella Bleu said...

I think the bear is genius! Thank for giving props to my blog. It was fun to write & feature!

Sweet Nothings said...

Amazing again Gretel :-)
Love the hare too, I saw a couple scrapping from a train the other day. Beautiful creatures.

Flávia Leitão said...

Your litlle bear is so lovelly!
I love him! It´s amazing how your work is progressing! Congratulations!

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

Hi Chica!

Every felted animal I see you do is better than the one before! That bear is the perfect polar bear shape and has so much expression. Really nice work.

Sarah said...

love the bear, what size? and so smooth! I think the little spoon makes it, am really impressed with your felting.

Soozcat said...

A hare, a bear, and a barn that isn't there... it's a bit Seussian.

Lovely, lovely polar bear! You do such beautiful work.

Mlle Miracle said...

I was thinking of what a beautiful days we're having here in Barcelona. I'm glad that you are having it too, everything is better with this incredible light! It's always a pleasure to share this walks with you, it's like being here, thank you!
And about the bear, well, it's another beautiful work.

Kim said...

Aaaaw, I LOVE that little bear :) You are soooo lucky to see a real, live hare. He's such a handsome chap too :)

Kim x

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ah gee, the bear reminds me of Edward!!

Sarah Laurence said...

The last photo is my favorite: idyllic! The swan makes the shot. Sweet bear too. How I long for spring, critters and all.

Rowan said...

I love your little polar bear, I'm sure the recipient was delighted. The hare blends beautifully into the landscape - even enlarged he's quite hard to see. The last of the photos is idyliic - I'd love to live there.

auntpearl said...

Oh my goodness that bear is so sweet. You did a wonderful job.
Love the photos. Just beautiful scenery.

Hope you are doing well.
Hugs,

Contessa Kris said...

Such a sweet bear. I especially love the beads in the batter to make it look realistic. Adorable apron too!

Mytutorlist.com said...

Such an adorable bear!

Melanie said...

You are so talented. The bear is my favorite now.

tlchang said...

The bear turned out great! Love it. (Hopefully you will be doing an all new calendar for next year? To show off all your new and wonderful critters?)

And someday! I am coming on this walk with you! (love that last photo - swan?, water, charming house... *sigh*...)