2.8.06

The Travelling Sketchbook

I used to be an illustrator you know...I am trying to kick myself back into gear, but it's difficult after the luxury of having various art directors whipping me on. I made a start with completing my entry in the Travelling Sketchbook, a project instigated on an illustration forum I belong to. Without these good people I would be climbing the walls and inviting the spiders down to take tea. The full entry can be read here, for those interested. And for busy-bods in a hurry, here's the first 'own' artwork created since September. Possibly a bit enigmatic, but one can't always control these things.


'We travel by night, because the Sun burns the unicorn'

If any artist/illustrator would like to be included in the TSB project, please contact the Head-Address-Co-ordinator
Lorna.

11 comments:

natural attrill said...

I have been humming and ha-ing to myself for ages about this, wether to ask you all if I could join in with the travelling sketch book. I think it is a wonderful idea, and I would be scared to do it! I think it would be really good for me to do somthing that is not commercial. I imagine you would all think I was going to paint a fluffy bear or somthing! which I wouldnt. My other worry is time, there just doesnt seem to be enough of it each day, I have so many commissions to do with deadlines, and I have started this jewellery with Toby. Oh well, I will carry on pondering.
Your illustration is beautiful Gretel, I love the muted colour pallete.

Gretel said...

Pnney, of COURSE you must join in - I know what you really think about teddy bears, wouldn't you like the chance to do something just for you? One of your abstracts maybe? It only takes about a day...I just have a knack of dragging these things out.

lorna said...

Yes Penny, put your name down- the list is lllloooonnnnggg so you needn't worry if you are busy now I can slot you in when you have a bit of time free.
Just email me your address.
(to lornabrownillustration@yahoo.co.uk)
L.x

natural attrill said...

OK then, thanks! I will email you Lorna, and post on RI group as well. P.

Becky said...

That's really lovely, such a delicate little unicorn.

I hope it got you back into the swing of painting your own thing again, I can just imagine a painting of you and the spiders taking tea and fairy cakes together too...

Gail said...

Lovely Gretel ;)

Joanna said...

Thats a lovley unicorn. I can feel myself float of and be carried in the carriage too

Rosa said...

Oh my. Your "own" artwork is absolutely magical. I love the unicorn and all your whimsy. I love it!! Please share more, more more!

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi There! Thank you for your comments on my Blog!
I love your artwork- the unicorn piece would make a stunning poster above a childs bed.
Niki

Anonymous said...

This is magical! What a wonderful project, and such fun...

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

beautiful painting! The pastell colors are lovely, and what a sweet style you have!