27.3.09

A rare incursion



It's rarely that I go out of my way to invite people into my home. Too much work and a disinclination for other people's company. But I had a good gut instinct about my recent visitors - both bloggers I've come to know - and my gut, in all its glory, is rarely wrong. We planned it weeks in advance so that we could acclimatise ourselves to the idea, although we all admitted to a few stressy nerves come the great day. However we all seemed to slot together as naturally as if we had been waiting for each other. And so it was that Hen and LiZZie and I spent a glorious day together. Kind LiZZie had bought gift bags - suncatchers of her own creating, lovely greens for nature loving Hen and I. And eggs for me, knowing my predilection for them.






I don't think we stopped talking, laughing and occasionally crying, all day. I took them over to 'my' woods, my refuge and second home.





Hen is one of those useful people (unlike me) who stop every so often and point out a little green thing, naming it and relating its special properties. I now have four more species I can show off to Andy and pretend I am very knowledgeable indeed (unless he is reading this, in which case I am rumbled). I had read that our woods are the last remnant of a huge ancient woodland which spread for miles, but she confirmed it by identifying wood sorrel, a sweet little shamrocky thing which I'd walked past without thinking, and is a typical sign of old woods. It explains the special atmosphere I always feel there.




Appropriately enough, as we returned to the car, a rainbow appeared - very faintly - against the rainclouds. We managed to dodge the downpour and returned home for soup and soda bread. We chatted non-stop until Andy returned home from work and we realised it was 6pm. I have rarely met people I felt so instantly comfortable with, and with whom I could be completely myself. When shall we three meet again? Soon, I hope.



24 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

What a lovely day, rainbow and all!

Rowan said...

How lovely to have such a day - your suncatcher is so pretty too, a lovely gift.

Elizabeth Rhiannon said...

A true connection with others is a rare and precious gift. I enjoyed reading about yours. Blessings

tut-tut said...

I am so glad you connected so well; and your area is an ancient wood!

A rainbow seals the deal!

hen said...

mmmmmmm.... soup and soda bread..... *buuuuUUhhhhhhrppppp*!!!

Thanks for welcoming us into your homes Gretel. It's not an easy thing I know. Your woods do have that rare, special feeling to them. It was the feeling of the entire day actually. Thank you xx

Can't wait to tell leo I've been called 'useful' he'll never believe it!

see you very very soon,
hen
xx

p.s.
...you caught the rainbow! :)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

New friends. Instant connection.
Wonderful thing!

Gberger said...

What a blessing. Blogging is really amazing this way...the connections that are made, even when we aren't looking for them. I made a blogfriend who moved from California to Washington (where I live), and now we see each other "in real life." It's lovely, & kind of miraculous, when you think about it. So glad that this has happened for you, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you lovely ladies got to spend a day together, enjoying each others company and nature around you. Its fun to see a picture of Hen in her element of plant studies. I hope you all enjoy many more wonderful get togethers.

Libby said...

Yesterday I too met up with an online friend from a small forum I am a member of and it was as if we had always known one another, we too never stopped talking. I believe we will be firm freidns for many a year!!

Anonymous said...

Such fun to hear about your get together. You all seem to have such a great sense of humor...it is fun to read posts from each of you.
I have had the pleasure of meeting and making friends through my blog.
Writing and art reveals so much so one has a leg up before the in person meeting.
You three needle felted geese are wonderful...any hidden reference? :)

Kim said...

Oh what a wonderful way to spend a day. It's soooo exciting when you meet people for the first time, after so many virtual conversations.

Hopefully I'll be meeting up with Hen in June, camping in Devon, woo hoo :)

Glad you had such a good day :)

Kim x

Frances said...

Isn't it grand to have good friends, and to have opportunities to truly recognize how grand that is!

All the photos are so fine, I always like to get outdoors, and to be outdoors in an ancient wood is sublime.

That long-necked trio set before the precious books is a perfect way to say au revoir.

xo

Caroline B said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day indeed. It's great making friends through blogging, and has been a revelation to me finding like-minded people do exist out there....my main gripe is they all live too far away! But then I guess I'd never get anything done if they lived down the road!

Wyldhare said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! I especially enjoyed your description of the woods by your home. Something that old, has to be magical at some level!

Anonymous said...

Gretel - how did you make humous that creamy? Hen - I know now why I was nervous eating what was foraged! A creature may have widdled on it? See, I have so much to learn...

tlchang said...

What a wonderful sounding day... Ancient woods! Rainbows! Foraging herbs! Sounds like my dream day.

(I love the shape of those geese)

Mlle Miracle said...

A day like this is a gift, no doubt! And meet people whom you could be yourself, that's the icing on the cake.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Awe, this was excellent... what a wonderful get together.. I always have those doubts too.. but I now see it is worth opening up to it..

I feel that way in the woods too!!

also so creative your polar bear and geese.. I love them!!!

Anonymous said...

Not only do you make the most ace of toys, creamiest humus, succulent soda bread and marvelousist soup but your words are huggy too...

Daljeet said...

Hi there! I'm Daljeet and I've been reading your blog for quite a while now. I think I found you quite randomly while searching for creative blogs in general. When I came across yours, I fell in intense like quite immediately :) You have a wonderful home in an amazing environment and I so enjoy reading about and looking at all the pictures of rambles. Most of all, I am truly in awe of your talent and if the exchange rate ever moves in my favour, I will be proud to have one of your felted creatures for my daughter.

For all those reasons, I've tagged you and nominated you for an award.

lettuce said...

its wonderful isn't it? when a blog-connection is sort of confirmed like that in the "real" world

lovely post

Gail said...

Looks like you all had a good time ... it's nice to meet new friends ;-)

Love the three geese!
-Gail X

Anonymous said...

I just came across this wonderful blog today. I love that you took pictures to give us a view into such a special day. :)

Merisi said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day with friends! :-)