2.6.11

Evolution of a little black dog




Some weeks ago - pre-party mahem - I finished an order for an *old* blog friend (old in terms of knowing her that is) Rachel of '
Slow Lane Life' who wanted a little version of her sweet black Labrador Florence. I don't often take on pet commissions, preferring to concentrate on toys, but for her I made an exception as she said more or less to do my own thing. Even so, Florence the small did end up looking very much like Florence the large...





From fluff to basic body took about two hours, sitting in our weedy back garden in the sun. Later the all important glass eyes and nose were added -


- and positioned.


We were going to have a scarf, but it spoiled her pose and hid her graceful neckline.




So a slim collar ball was substituted instead and a ball provided a place for the heart I put on all of my animals.



Did Rachel and big Florence like the result?
You can see here, when the two met, at a discreet distance.


Events update

I am taking part in the Witney Book Festival and will be on BBC Radio Oxford with 'Jo in the Afternoon' on June 10th, from 2pm talking about my books and life. Then on June 18th I will be selling and signing my books, at Teddy Bears of Witney, demonstrating the craft of needle felting with the Puddletown Tales toys on display, so if you are local, do drop in and say hello! (Unless you were at my recent teaparty and are sick of the sight of us!)

23 comments:

purple said...

absolutely gorgeous! looks like my (also gorgeous) "real" dog! :)

Twiglet said...

Perfect and so is the real Florence!

Vintage Jane said...

Fantastically talented to have the ability to turn that piece of fluff into something so gorgeous! Wish I could come to / tune into one of your events but just too far away. M x

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

OMGosh Gretel.....She so resembles our dear Katie, who we lost 2 years ago to cancer.
You are a marvel!

So excited for all your good book news...you deserve it all. Now when are you coming to America for a debut????

Enjoy the day

Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Puddock said...

Ah! Gorgeous! Now I want one of my little Jack Russell!

Elizabeth said...

I love your little dog.
It is so exciting that you are finally getting all the exposure you deserve for your wonderful work.
So sorry I have been so out of touch.
Love from NY

Gwen Buchanan said...

This the greatest Little Florence I have ever seen.. I remember Slow Lane Life posting about it..
Your talent is amazing!

Frances said...

Gretel, I think that Little Florence has completely captured Florence's dogginess!

I know that your upcoming events will be very successful and am getting a greenish tinge, envying those who will be able to attend.

Continues best wishes to you! xo

rachel said...

I'm not sure how you managed to part with her. But I'm glad you did - we love her (although Big Florence was only allowed to sniff her once!)...

Fernanda Azevedo said...

Hello Gretel,
I am a Portuguese art teacher and I love your blog.
Congratulations on your wonderful works.

Flávia Leitão said...

I love your work!
They are unique colorful and very well executed!
We can see that are made with love!

Caroline B said...

Your initial sketch looks rather like my saluki but the finished article was definitely Florence - lovely piece of work. You know there will be slews of dog owners wanting their own replicas now don't you......

Soozcat said...

Little Florence has lovely curves! Not to mention exceptionally winsome bright eyes.

Dartford Warbler said...

A Florence sculpture in felt! You have "caught" the character of Real Florence. So clever.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

oh Gretel you are so sweet ! but that "invitation" was spam...someone hacked email addresses and is sending that email out all over.. I have gotten four of them myself !!!
So if you get an email that starts of with "Hi" and is an invite to join it probably did not come from the person shown but is totally SPAM.
I keep up with you here Gretel and am just thrilled for you . (())

Catherine Hayward said...

Ah lovely dog (the real and the felt one equally) :-)

Claire said...

Hey Gretel, I have always wondered how you went about getting the shape of your wonderful creations. So interesting to some behind the scenes pics.

Fabulous Florence, love the eyes and nose.........

I'm sure she'll be much loved by Rachel.

Claire :}

Jill said...

It's great to share in your creative process.

Jess said...

You have really captured an amazing expression on the face! Rachel must be thrilled!xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Just found your blog, what a lovely dog you have made, so cute!

Suze said...

So cute, Gretel...I adore her pose.

Good luck with the interview and signings too...enjoy yourself.

Struinkunst by Lisette said...

Oh my, that's gorgeous! I'm impressed with your talent for needle felting!

Rowan said...

I love your black dog, your felted animals are just brilliant.