18.1.11

Bird Car Ladies 1-2-3



A regular question I get asked is - how can you bear to part with your paintings & toys, and the brutal answer is because I have to eat and pay bills, so I can't be precious about hanging on to work. But there are a few exceptions to this, such as quite a lot of my commmercial artwork. And the Bird Ladies.



Not many people have seen this batch of work I did a decade ago and I have been asked to sell them before. The answer is always a polite no - they are not for sale. Last year however, I made an exception and offered to make a copy for someone who was captivated by one of my early Bird Ladies, 'The Bird Car'. The topmost image is the 2001 piece and the middle image is the newest version - brighter than the previous one, and with a little flower in the ladys hair, to mark it out from the first.



I only finished it in the last week of 2010, hence my
trip to Oxford for a frame. They are the same but different - it's rather difficult to replicate washes that were done ten years ago and light exposure changes the paper and pigment. Actually, there are three versions of this, the other was a birthday present for a friend, but alas, I have no scan to show. I'm not going to copy it again; three is quite enough and matches the amount of prongs in the bird car, which is nice and neat. The task of getting the painting to the client was an adventure in itself...

12 comments:

Southern Lady said...

Very pretty. I can see why there has been a lot of interest. Carla

rossichka said...

I haven't seen your Lady Birds before and I find them adorable! I like the two paintings and I think I understand your desire to keep them for you!:) Still, when you are not too busy, don't you feel tempted to pick up the brush?:) Just for pleasure?

Frances said...

Thank you for showing us the two bird ladies. Yes, they are subtly different, yet clearly depict the same subject out for a little ride in the country. Delightful!

Hoping that your January days will be warm enough to encourage you to get out again with that sketchbook.

xo

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the sequel. I like your artistic integrity Gretel.

Val said...

I was delighted to discover your charming and interesting site. Your descriptions of the countryside and the snow transport me to a completely different world. Cape Town has only ever seen snow in the form of a few snowflakes on Table Mountain and they dissolved as soon as they touched the ground.

Anonymous said...

Oh - these are gorgeous! I can understand why you are reluctant to part with such beautiful work!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Dear Gretel...where have you been hiding these adorable bird ladies???? I don't remember seeing them before. They are special indeed, no wonder you hate to part with them.

Thanks for the visit today and I would trade your talent for my kitchen any day!!

Suze said...

So beautiful, Gretel...I'd not want to part with them either. Such talent!

auntpearl said...

Oh the bird ladies have such character...love them.
Thank you so much for the lovely card you sent me. I so appreciate having you for a friend. You make blogging so much more fun.
Sending you hugs,

Tonia said...

I love the bird-car ladies, really wonderful!

2smart said...

I can see why you love these so, they are unique and special.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

oh gretel these are lovely! it is a tough one when a piece tugs at our heart strings but we still need to pay the bills - I think the 2nd is a lovely match for the 1st though and I am sure the customer will be delighted!