5.1.07

Catching up with P's and Q's

Before I revert back to rambling on about the small things of country life and my faltering illustration career, (anyone want to buy a used paintbrush? One careful lady owner?) I'd like to publicly thank some lovely people who have sent me equally lovely things - apologies if this sounds like a great big gloat-fest, but mother taught me that it's kindly good manners to say thank you - and even more so if they are over due.
There were a couple of bad experiences with the mail in 2006. My end of a vintage book exchange vanished into the ether between the USA and here. But amazingly, Vintage Chica persevered and sent me out another, which arrived almost smothering our poor Posty, a small pair of legs disappearing under a large box. This contained my wonderful classic book - 'Little House on the Prairie', by Laura Ingalls Wilder which all good American girls know (and quite a lot over here). I can remember my mum finding 'Little House in the Big Woods' in the public library, and suggesting I read it. At the age of 8 or so, and having a very sheltered TV-less life, I didn't want to read about other children in that far off place, America, (where?) which was simply a distant name to me - insular child that I was. But within the first chapter, I was hooked, and swiftly devoured it and the rest of the series - all borrowed from the libray, so I have no copies of my own. Until now...



Of course, it is illustrated by the amazing Garth Williams. I immediately curled up with it and yet again was transported far away and long ago. The magic of the author's writing still encaptivated me and I have been loving re-reading it again.




To accompany it, some domestic delights - a jar of red currant sauce, a darling little apron, and best of all a vintage rolling pin, (I have a weakness for old rolling pins) which has joined my collection. It will be put into pastry action, as I like to use all my pins; it seems so sad to let them get dusty and unused simply because they are 'collectable'. Thank you Vintage Chica, not only for putting together such a thoughtful box, but for having the generosity to send a second one to replace the 'vanished' one.

The second mishap, post-wise, was my SOSF gift from Ms Robyn. It went missing and we had both given it up for lost. In the meantime, she sent me an enchanting bundle of delicate gifts...



...but at last, the missing parcel turned up, safe and sound. Two months later. It was a handcrafted Goddess doll, one of Ms Robyns finest. Where she had been and what adventures she had been through, she would not say. But here she is, on the wall, as enigmatic as a Goddess should be. Thank you Robyn!


And thank you to Maya and Tara for your everlasting kindness, but most of all for your friendship and support over the last year and beyond.



Edibles and herbal goodness from Tara's garden (no prizes for guessing which idiot made a jug of herbal tea from the 'tub-tea-bags' and drank it...not realising they were for bath soaking purposes...country bumpkin strikes again).

To all my artist, crafting and illustrator friends, whose personal cards and 'bits' always have pride of place, and their own exhibition space -



and to Gail, for this little fellow...


and huge hugs to my dear non-blogging-but-still-precious friend 'nursie', who sent me this treasure trove of trinkets from a Christmas market...incuding tiny toadstools which will keep all year round.



You are all prime examples of what the
SOSF is all about - that it is better to give than to receive. To give because the other person will get pleasure from the gift, and not simply to get something back. That is why we think of ourselves as a friendship network, not a 'swop' group. Somehow it's nicer that way.

( I have been rubbish at gifting recently and mean to improve on this in 2007!)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Im so glad you enjoyed your box (and that this one arrived safely). I am reading Farmer Boy to my sons now and reliving my prairie days through them.

Blessings for 2007!!!

Joanna said...

If your used paint brushes are anything like mine, I'm not sure I would be wanting it, I can't believe how quickly I wear them out, it gets a little expensive. Lucky I got a new one for christmas. What a wonderful bunch of parcels.

Anonymous said...

Your post today was very amusing especially the part about using the bath tea bags to make tea and drink. All of your gifts were lovely to look at and I really love that you shared them with all of us who read your blog. Happy New Year to you and your dear hubby Gretel!

Soozcat said...

I think I'd be likely to make the same mistake with the tea bags. But Tara's stuff is so good that it probably turned out tasty!

Happy New Year to you and Andy and the fuzzy critters!

Miss Erica said...

Ooooh what a lot of lovely pressies you got!
I hope you got my card, I couldn't see it on your board!

Happy new year!!!

Erica

xx

Daisy Lupin said...

Got to admit this, I also reached some lovely bags of herbs from Tara and was thinking happily to myself these are large teabags, when I caught the label saying tub-bath, so I also nearly made tea out of them, but stopped just in time! I can see my felt star hanging at the side of your fireplace. It is so lovely to see something you have made or given in its new home.
OIh Little House on the Prarie, I had forgotten about those books, I must start searching charity shops for them!

Anonymous said...

If your paintbrush can give me one one thousandth of your talent, I'll take it!! My husband got me watercolors for Christmas and I'm scared to try them! You got lovely gifties!! I LOVE Little House on the Prairie and read every book in the series about 100 times. My 9 year old daughter is now enjoying them. Those little mushrooms in the last pictures are the cutest! A friend of mine sent me a little ornament like that. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

You got some wonderful treasures!

Hope everything is going well for you. Looking forward to your Pinweel Days book to come out.

Hugs,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi G,
I'm really touched that you mentioned me on your blog and very pleased you liked the package. I got very excited about the market- you would have loved it! Many of the things were too fragile to bring home but I had a lovely time browsing, it was so magical...
Nursie xxxxxx

SueC said...

Happy New Year to you both xxx and what a lovely cornucopia of christmas goodies. Sue x

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you love to know where "lost" mail lingers before it finally reaches your doorstep...I'm sure that Robyn's angel would have some lovely tales to tell and perhaps she was stopping off somewhere to spread a little joy to someone who needed it, before moving on. Such is the power of goddesses, angels and fairies!
oxoxo Barb

Colleen said...

What a lovely post! Perhaps your lost parcel will show up and you can enjoy all over again. My favorite childhood books were of children who lived in England, Secret Garden, etc., as are many of my adult favorites, Austen, etc. I guess all of us are fascinated by a life that is so different than our own....

Soozcat said...

I know where missing mail goes! But I've got to finish writing a story for Tara before I reveal the secret.

Miss Robyn said...

ooh, haven't been by in ages & ages. I lost all my links and slowly but surely finding them! there is one more parcel on its way, I thought it would be there by now but its probably 'lost' somewhere in faery land at the moment.
I love my wooden box and I have it sitting next to my bed ~ it comforts me x0x0

Rosa said...

I still have Ps & Qs to catch up on!