18.11.19

Old lane connecting


This is a tiny, pot holed lane that connects us to the nearest shop. You go down a hill, up a hill and there, lurking to the side of the road, is the dark, tree lined entrance to a narrow, muddy uphill track that is still used by locals and farmers. It is quite extraordinary the size of tractor that comes through here; it is quiet at this time of year, but in the summer I have been forced to climb up into the bank, hauling Marjorie, my dear old bike, up with me, to give way. A few weeks ago, the lane was closed due to a mudslide completely blocking it off.

There is a wider lane, further along, but I prefer this one. The high banks indicate that it has been used by travellers - whether by foot, bike, or indeed, tractor, for many years. In the end, it plateaus out to show the broad vista of the Shropshire landscape and the surrounding hills.


The shop itself is about two and a half miles away. It's a nondescript affair on the side of a busy road,  consisting of a garage, Post Office and general stores. While not particularly picturesque, it's a valuable asset to those of us living in the area. I enjoyed my cycle there, bought my few things and made my way home.

We have had weeks of heavy rain and parts of Shropshire have been badly flooded. Today was a stunner though and even the brooding Wrekin in the distance, showed its head above the trees.


The one village I pass through (more of a hamlet really) is best seen from a particular gateway, where the squat, squared church tower can just be made out and the trees cast long winter shadows.


After a mild autumn, the cold is creeping in and finally the leaves are turning, their colours glowing in the remaining puddles, a reminder of the less clement weather we have endured recently.


Heading home, and free wheeling back down into the tunnel of trees, on the old lane. I have to slow several times, to avoid going down deep potholes, but when I arrive home my head is swirling with images of an ancient road that has connected our remote clusters of houses and cottages for centuries.

4 comments:

School on the Heath said...

Lovely, as always.
I do hope that you had a nice cup of tea
by the fire when you got home.

Granny Sue said...

That lane is so enticing. I can just imagine it in summer, with the overhanging trees covered in leaves--an enchanted forest, I bet. Thank you for the little trip to the store!

Kathy said...

Enjoyed your blog as always. I live near Chicago Il so you can imagine that my travels are so much different to the store. Yours is so beautiful!

Karren said...

Once again, thank you for sharing your world with us. It almost looks like you're riding a tunnel into another world, maybe with a Mad Hatter or a White Rabbit?