19.8.15

Buckingham workshop and an adventure



This month saw me down in Buckingham for a repeat workshop at the Buckingham Summer School. It was great last year and it was great this year - with the small problem of my stupidly arriving on the wrong day. Something I only realised on my arrival, when I was greeted with 'hello Gretel, lovely to see you again - a day early'. At which point my brain caved in somewhat, as I had booked my motel room for that night only. As well, I had been asked to do a live interview from the cottage with BBC Shropshire (on the day that my workshop actually was) and had pre-booked my train tickets.

 


I'm not normally this daft and I can only blame it on my being a bit under the weather this summer and my head not being in its normal steady place. After recovering my senses, I set about sorting things out. I cancelled the interview (which was to be about this blog), managed to book the last room at the motel for an extra night - at some cost - then rang Joe and whined at length, before settling down for a dull night in a bland motel room.



I was saved by a lovely local lady (who had just ferried me from Milton Keynes train station to the school) who rang me to say that she was sorting out her spare room, so that I could stay the extra night with her. Thankfully I was able to cancel my booked room and things started to look a little better. 

 

The next day, when I had mistakenly expected to be doing my workshop, I ventured into the pretty and bustling little town of Buckingham and pottered about taking photos. I even managed to locate a nice sweet shop, where I was able to buy Joe some of his favourite truffles



Back at the Summer School, I was just in time to snaffle some afternoon tea.


 

The previous day, I'd  been introduced to a fellow felt maker, who's name I know from reputation; the lovely Sue Pearl. At precisely the point when my head was imploding. I hadn't really made good conversation, apart from the occasional whimper.  

 



Sue was also holding workshops at the school.  Today, she was holding a natural plant dying class and I popped in to say hello properly and have a look around. 

 


We had a good old chat and I had a peek at something which I've not encountered before. All of her students had produced beautiful work and Sue herself had examples of her work for sale. As you can see, she is multi-talented. Compared to her I'm just a one trick pony, but I do love seeing other people's work.


After that, I trailed back to what was to be my workshop room and spent a couple of hours in solitary splendour, doing my own work. During which time, I was rung by the nice people at BBC Shropshire, who told me that they really, really wanted to go ahead with the interview and could I do it by phone instead?  So that was another thing sorted out.

Later, I was picked up and taken out to dinner by my guardian angel. I don't  eat out often, so this was a proper treat and a chance to catch up with someone who has become a friend, since attending my last year's workshop. 


And so the next day began with a live early morning interview on BBC Shropshire, about my blog, and why I do it. I managed not to make an idiot of myself and Jean-next-door heard me as she was having her breakfast. 


At last the workshop started. All of my class were totally new to needle felting. And they were, without exception, fabulous.

 

As was lunch. I have very happy memories of last year's lunch, and I was not disappointed this time.


 

The rest of the day flew by on needle felted wings. One person had brought along some foraged sheep's wool, hoping to make it into something - which she did, making a delightful little lamb.


By the end of the day, there was a flock of geese. It is always so rewarding when the day's labours have produced fabulous results.


As for me - I was taxied back by my friend to the train station for my return trek home to Shropshire. Great relief when I discovered that there was no extra fee to pay on my train ticket. And on the way, I was rung by  a charming chap at the BBC, asking me to do another live interview on the Friday night with Georgey Spanswick, broadcasting on all of the UK's local radio stations. And again, miraculously, I managed to chat about this blog without any pratfalls. Most of the conversation was about jam, as recorded in my last blog post.




So despite a nightmarish beginning, it all worked out in the end, mostly thanks to someone going the extra mile for me. I am due to do one of my last workshops this year at Indigo Moon, Montgomery,  in Powys on Saturday October the 17th. We will be making decorative acorns.  (And yes, I really have got the date right this time!) There are still spaces left and it would be great to see you.

8 comments:

Aprons and More said...

So glad it turned into a wonderful adventure with new friends!

Katy :)

Frances said...

Oh Gretel, what interesting adventures you had in Buckingham. After that initial hiccup, what a delight to hear how all turned out positively. (I will try to find some sort of "listen again" feature on BBC Shropshire...I want to hear both interviews.) As you might remember, I sometimes contribute to BBC London ... yesterday via email to Jo Good about my blog on a local Banksy painting. Jo read out my blog.

Your Buckingham friend does sound like an angel, and her house is a dream.

Your students's accomplishments are rather remarkable for beginners. Something tells me you will be returning to Buckingham before too long.

Best wishes to you for autumn success at Indio Moom...a great name. xo

Partofyourstory said...

Yes Gretel, definitely got the date right, poor you, hope you're feeling ok now, lovely makes on your workshop, looking forward to you being here xx

Jess said...

How lovely that things fell into place as though the universe was helping you! It sounds so much nicer staying with a friend than a horrible uninspiring motel room and you must have felt so relieved not having to worry about the interview and the train ticket. The geese are so beautiful, your workshops look like a lot of fun!
Jess xx

jerilanders said...

With all the good eats, excellent students and nice surprises, you ought to show up a day early at all your future events. Trust me, it is better to show up a day early than a day late, ( which I once did at a 3 day art event )

Acornmoon said...

Oh Gretel, what a kerfuffle! All's well that ends well and it seems that you had an adventure too. You must send me a link to your interview, what famous friends I have. Xxx

Lyn said...

I am so glad it all worked out in the end....
and what a successful workshop/weekend it turned out to be!
xxx

Deb said...

Doesn't the kindness of people make your soul sing? So glad it worked out and I must, must, MUST make myself one of your beautiful geese. Do you have a link to your interviews at all?