28.10.14

Green apples, golden pears



My Conference pear tree has been over productive again this year. Too much fruit for one person and as I did last year, I let my lovely neighbours gather as many as they wished. Still the tree hung heavy with fruit. So I have picked my own small share. The split ones to eat now -




The perfect ones to store for a few weeks.




 There are apples too - sour cookers of an unknown variety.





This is the trouble with fruit - I don't have the inclination or time to do anything with them and yet I hate waste. The birds will gorge on any windfalls though and in my garden I have a couple of very plump blackbirds who have done very well out of my lethargy.




I actually found myself more drawn to the spoiled fruit still clinging to the tree.





 Such rich colours and close up, a fascinating surface; quite beautiful in its own right.




This is the problem with living in the country, where everyone has fruit trees and a glut of produce. However, I am bravely chomping my way through several pears a day and they are, without doubt, very sweet and tender. Everything will be eaten, one way or another.



9 comments:

Nancy said...

Maybe someone in your neighborhood preserves fruit (jam?) and you can make a barter deal with them. My grandmother had three really huge apricot trees in her back yard and I would love making jam. You feel really good. (and they taste good for later.)

Caroline B said...

I wish I lived nearby, I'd help you out! We had no apples on our tree this year - so no chutney or pies from home grown fruit. You can cut up pears and apples, blanche and then freeze them for winter bakes.

rossichka said...

It must be a very pleasant feeling to pick up a fruit from the tree, whenever you want to eat one. Besides, from your garden!:) The pears look very delicious and I am sure you will find the best way of "using" them (as well as the apples). Don't you know someone who is selling fruits at a market?:)
I am glad that your workshops gather so many people, wanting to learn from you! And the results are always amazing.
Have a wonderful and cosy November, Gretel!xx

Unknown said...

Hi you ... lovely pears.
You could always put them on Freecycle or similar local site. I'm sure someone would be glad to come and pick them .. and be glad of them.
I found it was a good way of getting to know people with similar frugal ideals to mine.

Vicky x

Frances said...

Gretel, you are fortunate to have a pear tree (looking for a partridge landing perhaps) and an apple tree (encouraging some kitchen experiments to enable tasty eating, or perhaps a way to make some Chiristmas...there, I did type that word...decorations.

When I make my regular visits to the Union Sq farmers market, my mind sometimes does contemplate what it would be like to be able to pick a ripe seasonal fruit from a branch at that fruit's prime.

Was this a thought that might have crossed Eve's mind, with or without any snake's encouragament.

Think yes. xo

Dar said...

I cannot grow pears in our northern USA for the trees surely would freeze in our long hard winters. SO, I delight in seeing such wonderful fruit from your very own tree. Your pears are stunning, I'm drooling. Apples do well here and we had an overabundance this season. Most have gone into the freezer and canning jars of sauce and jellies. Many pies, tarts, crisps will treat our winter. the deer and birds have are feasting on the spoils. I love harvest time.
Enjoy your fruit. God has blessed you.

Vintage Jane said...

I peel and chop up all my cookers, stick them in a big pan with a bit of water, some sugar, cinnamon and bit of mixed spice and simmer away. Once I have a nice pulp I freeze in little containers and have for breakfast/snack with chopped mixed nuts and yogurt or ice cream. It's lovely! M x

Soozcat said...

I wonder if Falling Fruit (www.fallingfruit.org) has any local chapters. According to the map, the closest info is near Wrexham, but it might need to be updated.

Frances Tyrrell said...

What beautiful pears. I like the spattered rust colours on the golden ones that look like bronze fruit. I had a pear tree in my last garden and made jam every year (simplest recipe ever - equal weight of sugar to pounds of peeled and diced pear, stir and let sit overnight, boil to golden syrup the next day. Yummy.)