4.8.24

Fuzzy buzzard

 


It's been some time since I posted a fuzzy picture of something. The farmer has cut the back field for silage again, which has stirred up the local bird life. I've been keeping my eye open for the hares, as happily, we have had a regular one appearing for the last few years. A month ago, Jean-and-Brian-next door saw two, dancing around together. (It's not exactly a competition, but I did hear a cuckoo in June when Jean didn't and we like to keep these things chalked up, metaphorically speaking). Anyway, I spotted a distant brown lump from the bathroom window and fetched my camera out to zoom in on it. Sadly it wasn't an elusive hare, but it was a juvenile buzzard, grazing for grubs and worms in the freshly cut grass. He/she has patchy plumage and a bright yellow bit to its beak. I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's a 'she', as it's quite chunky, but it's hard to tell the difference between the sexes at this stage. And just look at that focussed stare!

It was lovely to see and as I type, the grass has been gathered up. A carnival of swallows are dipping and swooping low, hoovering up low flying insects. Watching them from my bed provides a brief moment of escape from an unknowable future and yet again, nature comforts me.  


3 comments:

Granny Sue said...

What a handsome little thing!

Elderberry-Rob said...

your lino print came out well :) never seen a buzzard, she looks huge and powerful. Betty

Daisy Debs said...

I love the Buzzards ! We have lots here in Cornwall . Brilliant photos ! 🌿Debbie x