23.4.19

Needle felted chicken workshop


 

Earlier this month I was once more at Loudwater Studios, near Ludlow, to hold a chicken making workshop. I enjoy coming here, as it's fairly nearby and feels like a safe, happy place. Despite only having three students, we had a very nice, chatty day (it's amazing what a variety of topics are covered).

 

As usual, I took enough wool to make several hundred chickens, in all kinds of colours (you never know if someone is going to feel inspired to make a purple hen) but my ladies decided to follow the designs of the ones I had brought along for inspiration.


I brought along pre-cut and threaded beaks, made from cocktail sticks, although this example has a woolly beak and the tiniest one on the wee chick.


It's nearly always the case that the creations made at a workshop will be larger than anything of mine that I bring along - this makes it easier for relative beginners to work with the wool, as small things can be tiresomely fiddly. Here is my little chicken in the background - and a very good larger version from the workshop in the foreground.

 

Most of the wool was merino, but I'd also brought rougher samples and nests were made. Welsh Black and Herdwick were used for quick and realistic results. Everyone said they enjoyed their day, which is for me the most important thing - as well as the reward of seeing the fabulous results.


In other news, I unearthed this trio of harlequin hares from my 'archives'. I made them in 2013, after finishing the work for my book 'Little Needle-Felt Animals' and they languished in my Etsy shop for a few years before I retired them. Happily, after showing them again on social media, they all sold as a set to the same home. Which goes to show, I think, that everything has it's time, sooner or later. 



4 comments:

BumbleVee said...

What a great pile of "stuff" you had there... and the girls did a great job on their chickens and eggs...

I have workshop envy every time you show us a group having fun felting..... sigh..........................

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I wish I lived closer so that I could take a class from you! I love your little animals.

Twiglet said...

Beautiful little hens and another successful workshop Gretel. Your little hares are so lovely, I'm glad they found a happy home. We spent the day at Builth Wells - Wonderwool. Max "invested" in some fab bits and bobs- yarns etc. So much to tempt you and it's easy to get carried away with the woolly delights! It was a very cold wet day but at least we had a giggle. x Jo

Jan said...

I have only just rediscovered your blog. It is so good to see you "keeping on keeping on" but I'm sorry last year was so tough for you. Just wanted to wish you all good things and say you are in my thoughts. Jx