19.1.18

Painting of the week - Little Unicorn


I thought I'd take progress shots for this painting of the week. It starts, of course, with a  sketch or two. Which then gets transferred onto some hot pressed water colour paper and stretched onto a mounting board. Left overnight to dry thoroughly.


Then the first very pale yellow under wash is laid down. And left overnight again to dry.


First the floor is added...


When that is completely dry, the background wall of the imaginary setting is filled in, which includes a small crescent paper moon hanging by a knotted thread.


Next comes the very pale violet blue tone of the unicorn toy - which is white -  but even white has tones.


 The final top colours are painted in.


 And finally, when it is bone dry, the pencil work to finish it off.


I left enough bleed around the edges so that it would fit nicely into the 4 inch by 4 inch mount. And popped it up for sale.


4 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I did not realize there were so many steps in the process. And the original step-getting the idea-that could take a while, I'd think. Thank you for the step-by-step, Gretel.

My acorn arrived the other day! Thank you! It will be on my tree next Christmas but until then it is hanging by my desk where I can see it daily. Thanks so much! And the card is so sweet I may need to find a frame for it.

Sandi said...

Sweet!

I like that he has wheels.

BumbleVee said...

How cute is that little guy? ....

rossichka said...

Hello, Gretel! It's so interesting to follow the creative process! Hope the unicorn will find his home very soon, because it's such a darling!