2.10.17

Little toadstools


It probably says something about the state of our 'lawn' that we have a sprouting of small toadstools this year. They are of the 'small beige' variety, and despite knowing my general toadstools and fungi, I find these to be the most difficult to identify. Suffice to say I shall not be eating them.


I've been creating my own, more colourful toadstools. 

 

They too are unidentifiable, being made up as I go along, but they are loosely based on typical shapes and forms.


I've made a lot of toadstools in my time, and they used to be quite jolly, almost cartoon-like, such as these, from several years ago.



This year I found myself experimenting more with using more neutral colours and layering tiny amounts of fibres to create a more organic, natural effect.



It is a little like painting with wool, using the tip of the needle to tease the wool into creating light and dark areas and giving a hint of the gills without getting too forensic. After nearly ten years of needle felting, I am still learning new and interesting things. 


 

8 comments:

Karren said...

You are an amazing artist. These little toadstools look like they're dancing. Such fun things.

Unknown said...

I really love these little mushrooms! And don't feel badly about the state of your lawn. From what I can remember from university classes (so many years ago), nearly all soils have some kind of fungus growing in them, and nearly all plants need them there in order to be healthy! This is why grass is often lusher and greener around a fairy ring, even if us humans think it looks terrible :)

Mac n' Janet said...

Quite like the ones you're making now. The earlier ones are sweet, but the newer ones have something very special about them.

frayed at the edge said...

Like you, we have a variety of fungi growing in the "lawn" ..... and like you I wouldn't take the chance of eating any of them. I love your toadstools, both the older and the new ones.

Wendy said...

Love your work, and the toadstools as delightful!!

Maudie said...

These are really beautiful. I do hope there will be a pattern, or kit for them one day.

Lin said...

WOW. I like the latest skills. Really adds to them!

Penny said...

Your toadstool are stunning. Wish I lived closer, Oz is a bit far away for a lesson!