24.3.17

A bready miracle


Well, here's a first! I've made bread on and off (more off than on) for most of my adult life. I do make acceptable small rolls, but free form loaves, the kind I've yearned to master, have been a little flat. No matter how much I tucked them in, they always spread and while they were nice enough (if a little dense) I have never achieved that fluffy inner one desires. So last night I had another attempt. This time I kneaded the dough for nearly half an hour. After two rises, and with a slight sigh, I made a traditional cob loaf. Imagine my surprise when it stayed in one shape, apart from rising beautifully. With trepidation I gently put it in the oven. Even then it didn't flop. Instead I got a lovely, bosomy, thin crusted loaf with a soft and holey interior. It actually felt and tasted like real bread. It may never happen again, but it did happen once.


4 comments:

BumbleVee said...

Oh, yeh....... bread. My favourite thing to make and eat...

You should try this recipe Gretel... great bread in only 2 hours..no kneading.

It is from a site called Alexandra's Kitchen...she calls it her Mother's Simple No Knead Peasant Bread and she has a couple little videos to show you how she does it.

I've only done it once, but it worked perfectly... lovely crust and nice hole-y airy inside... we loved it.. so did the neighbours as I had to give some away... don't dare let myself eat all of it!!

Next time I want to make it in a loaf pan to see if it works as well as her bowl idea. Maybe I'll do it this afternoon... plenty of time... it only takes a mere two hours.

I don't know how to make it so that you can click on and go to the page..but, here is the address

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

Vee

Soozcat said...

Well done you! Baking is notoriously difficult work -- more alchemy than science, if you ask me. But your loaf looks delicious. (Sounds like it tasted that way too.)

Caroline B said...

Well done! Looks delicious. My bread always turns out like house bricks, so I don't bother any more!

rossichka said...

How nice! It must be a special feeling to make a bread! Hope the next attempt will be successful again!