23.6.16

Needle felt tinies and new workshops

Tiny Polar Bear (sold)

I  recently updated my website and for the first time (ever) catalogued all my designs by year and month. Nine years of almost non-stop needle felting.  It took many days of hunting on various camera cards and through this blog and Flickr, but eventually I got there.


Looking through it was a bit of a wake up call and I was able to look at my work and realise not only that I've done a phenomenal amount of work, but also that I've not really moved on, stylistically. Although, to be fair, the last few years haven't exactly been the time for creative navel gazing.


I think it has a lot to do with the last few years of creating commercial patterns, which have to be easy to make, and doing so many workshops, ditto. So I've not really stretched myself. 
 
 
I think making myriad cute toys has almost run it's course for me, after all, I've been doing them for nine years. So I've been finishing off several bits and pieces, including this set of tiny animals and bird dolls, which despite being small, take around six hours plus to make


As usual, I've bunged them on dear old Etsy. I'll be starting a shiny new website soon, for my new work. 



I started a new and very 'grown up' line of work this summer, but it is under wraps until I have several pieces. Suffice to say, I am stretching myself at last. 


While I'm cheerfully shoving things for sale under your noses, I may as well add that I've got some fabulous new workshops in the UK, for later in the year. I have two winter workshops in Hampstead, London at the Village Haberdashery - my first time in London! It's going to be the red eye train at crack of dawn for those two.

I am also going to be in Witney, Oxfordshire at the Witney Sewing and Knitting Centre. And in Birmingham, at the lovely shop of Lauren Guthrie, who was a British Sewing Been finalist in 2013, at Guthrie and Ghani

All of these courses, with links to the relevant booking pages, can be found on my website, on the Needle felt workshops page.




In other news, I've finally started painting properly again. But I'll spare you that for the time being.

6 comments:

Deb said...

I shall be very interested to see where your new line of work has taken you. :)

Mac n' Janet said...

Have always loved your work, can't wait to see what you do next.

Lin said...

Well, look at you...growing...changing...

Isn't that wonderful?! I'm glad you are trying new things. I can't wait to see!

Twiglet said...

Will love to see what you are up to next - best wishes what ever it is! x Jo

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing your new work!! And it's good to know that you are painting again. I still have lots of your cards, as I can't bear to give them away!!

Acornmoon said...

It's so lovely to read how busy you are and how productive. Your creations are pure joy and you know how much I admire your paintings. One thing though Gretel- how about posting some images of your self published books? That little series I saw when I visited, you had them in your kitchen and I was smitten. x