24.5.16

Cinderella cupboard



It's funny what lurks in sheds. Brian-next-door was showing me a pair of old oil lamps and I spotted this. I squealed. I really did squeal. He was a little confused at my delight as it was 'just some old shelves' which he uses to store oil and paint cans. The back has rotted and was replaced with paste board, which is also rotting. 


Although my lovely neighbours have become accustomed to my love of what they consider to be junk, I think this one had Brian stumped. But bless him, he removed the cans, levered it from the dirt floor, chased away a colossal fat, black spider and together we dragged it out into the sun. 


It must be about seven feet long and quite low. I think it was probably once the base to a huge farm dresser. The cupboard space is deep, however the doors are long gone. I can't remember the exact story Brian related, but it seems to have lived in a few local places, including an uncle,  before being entombed in the damp old privy.


Look, I know, it's a bit shafted. Apparently it's been used as a workbench in previous lives. Hence the paint blobs, the oil spills and the gouges.



But imagine if it were cleaned up and restored. It's a good, honest chunk of country pine, crying out for some attention and a good dollop of beeswax.


Brian did his best to dissuade my enthusiasm, seeing nothing but a knackered old unit which would otherwise serve it's purpose and eventually fall apart. And the surface damage  bothered him. I said repeatedly that I liked that and would probably leave some remains of it, if I sanded it down, to show the history. I think I lost him there; he would replace it with a new bit of wood. 


He was convinced that the top might be an add-on, as it appeared to be screwed down and maybe underneath there would be a better, original slab of wood. So he got his screwdriver out. I held my breath and tried not to wince. 


But no, it was part of the piece. So, having convinced Brian that I really did love it, warts and all, it is now mine. But it has gone back into the shed, for the time being. The cottage is still in a state of partial renovation, and walls need plastering before anything else goes in. It is going to look amazing though. 

10 comments:

Merisi said...

Wonderful Cinderella story! :-)

Frances said...

Brian-next-door continues to amaze with his magical shed! How wonderful for you to be able to soon have a truly authentic item of country furniture.

What wonderful neighbors you have, Gretel. xo

Mac n' Janet said...

How fun to find an old piece and rescue it. Furniture use to be made to last, warts and all.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I think it's a smashing piece and I don't blame you for nabbing it. Once you have worked your magic, it will be put to good use again.
Jean
x

Lilbitbrit said...

What a wonderful find, I know you will love it always.

Lin said...

Oh my gosh! Add some baskets...maybe a cushion for the top...

I love Brian!

rossichka said...

This will turn into a lovely and useful piece of furniture. I guess you see its transformation in your mind. Oh, if this cupboard could speak!:D
Hope you enjoy a good weather, with more and more sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Have fun transforming it - and yes, you have to leave some of the blemishes to honour its history.

ps - Stuart was delighted to hear of your engagement, and sends you his best wishes.
Anne x

Granny Sue said...

Awesome piece! And I can just imagine his surprise that you loved it. We buy stuff from a guy who tears down buildings and he is always amazed at what we like. That cupboard will be a showpiece when you're finished with it.

and I'm really lovin' that shed door too...

J. Shirley said...

Oh Gretel,

Your writings and musings are such a breath of fresh air. We share the love of curious old things. Thank you for this one; it was as if I were there! Long live your newfound old shelf. <3

Jamile